Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,745   Online: 844

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Didn't they do multiple studies to show SACD was discernible by audio engineers and orchestra conductors...etc?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    Cool looking site - I'll have to make some time to look around there!

To get a little more on track, I think film will become an item like vinyl. That is there will be a few companies that will support a niche market. What will remain to be seen is how many kinds of film will be available. I think B&W will have the greatest number of companies involved, followed by colour print film and lastly, colour silde film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film has been coming back for years....just as a niche market. Much like vinyl has.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B&L 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    4x5 Graphic View, made in USA! New project
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Film has never disappeared the way records did.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul VanAudenhove View Post
    Sounds sweet! What do you want to do with the SME arm? I had one on an AR-1 that was pretty good. That combo was replaced by an Oracle Delphi fitted with a Graham arm.
    I thought I might replace the knife-edge bearings, and perhaps get the arm rewired. I would find it useful to have an arm with replaceable headshells. Nothing to match a Graham arm, however! That's a great piece of gear. I've long eyed early AR turntables as I find their design so visually attractive; I've got an original AR amp and some AR-5 and AR-6 speakers. OK, no more hifi here -- it's my other hobby/passion, which means I'm often quite torn as to which has priority money-wise between photography and stereo gear.

Shooter
    35mm
    No.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Why buy a CD? You can get digital downloads with the best parts of the album/songs you like and pay less, and get it instantly. However, an LP is different entirely. Not only are you getting a physical item, but it's a much more tactile item. You can't just plug it into your computer and throw it onto your iPod like any CD.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They should start selling music on 1/4" tape again. This is what I am currently repairing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vortexion001.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	43913

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    They should start selling music on 1/4" tape again. This is what I am currently repairing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vortexion001.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	43913

Steve.

"I am not a crook!"
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Steve - that's a serious looking piece of kit!

Tomalophicon - Film is almost at the place vinyl was. Consumers have switched away from the analogue formats. Selection is down, and distribution is not as widespread as it once was.

EASmithV - you are right stating that buying an album is a more tactile experience. An album, like traditional photo materials, is an investment in a physical object. Digital materials do not have the same physical presence. Listening to vinyl vs a digital source is generally a more satisfying experience, mush the same way that looking at physical photographs is more involving that looking at pictures on a screen.

Trask - doesn't the SME have interchangeable arm wands? I think an interchangeable wand is a better solution than an interchangeable headshell. The Graham uses a fixed headshell/interchangeable wand system. I'm not certain I would want to mess too much with the bearing, but Cardas makes a nice tonearm lead and there are only a few manufacturers who supply internal wiring for an arm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin