Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,958   Online: 772

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sure and if you shoot LF, the Large Format Forum is also a very nice, knowledgeable and friendly place to post
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar F2
    Multi format P&S 4x5, 6x12, 6x9 # Chamonix Saber
    6x6 # Minolta Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak Medalist

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    scanning negatives is like masturbating...do it all you like. just don't talk about it here....if you wanna discuss that sort of stuff do it at DPUG.
    NOT HERE, please.

I think you are being ridiculous. My main interest is historic lenses & cameras, not making prints. (My goal is to have three lenses from the 1840-1859 and a sliding box camera, eventually.) While I'd like to learn how to make wet plates, or at least dry plates, my intention is to scan those as well. I've done some traditional dark room work but just don't enjoy it all that much. It also takes from my family time, which is limited as it is. To me, the whole thing is previsualizing an image, using the Light to its best, and then selecting the camera gear that will come closest to making the image I had in my mind. For me, the truly important thing is using the Light well. Everything else is a side issue. Since the primary way I have of showing others my results is through the internet, it only makes sense for me to learn how to digitize the image. I've considered making contact prints, but those would be pretty small considering I shoot 4x5. Since I really have very little interest in developing & printing in a dark room, it's highly unlikely I'd be shooting any film at all if I had to go that route. That would be one less avid collector of historic lenses and vintage (1900-1945) cameras, one less guy buying 10 boxes of sheet film and ~30 rolls 120 every year, one less guy talking about film on the general photo forums. You may have your head in the sand with such a closed mind. Mostly I hang out on the Large Format forum which is a bit more eclectic.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Kent, that's all great....nothing at all wrong with anything you're doing.

I still think the analogy is perfect. If you wanna scan negatives...hey, cool! Have at it. But, scanning is emphatically not what this place is about so, we do not discuss that activity here. OK?

I used to participate in an online community similar to this one but it was all about water cooled Volkwagen automobiles. Talking about scanning on APUG would be like talking about film photography on the volkswagen forum. some things just don't belong...get it?

Shooter
    4x5 Format

I still think the analogy is perfect. If you wanna scan negatives...hey, cool! Have at it. But, scanning is emphatically not what this place is about so, we do not discuss that activity here. OK?
    I'm not the one that brought it up. I responded to the OP's thread, and someone made some classless comments.

Kent in SD
    Last edited by Two23; 01-07-2012 at 07:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Let's try to keep the bodily functions and ad hominem arguments out of the thread.

The main issue is that scanning is generally off topic for APUG, except insofar as is necessary to explain how to post images on APUG for those who don't know how to do that. There is nothing wrong with scanning, digital or hybrid photography, but they are not the topic of this forum.

As far as the question of negative scans in the gallery goes, do a search, and there has been plenty of discussion of this topic over the years. Not everyone can scan prints, and sometimes it is easier to make a scan that looks like an actual print by scanning the neg and adjusting it with the print in hand than by scanning the print and trying to adjust that, not to mention the fact that some people don't print at a size they can easily scan on a flatbed scanner they could afford.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it's time APUG allowed hybrid discussion, as a deliberate, fundamental change to its core rules. Digital is digital, and that's what DPUG is. Everyone who posts images on APUG uses a hybrid workflow. It's organic to and endemic to APUG. You want APUG to be all film and paper, then eliminate the images on site. They're digital. If HybridPhoto had traffic it would be ideal, but it never did.

I'd love to see a user poll - how many would leave APUG if it allowed hybrid discussions?
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I'd love to see a user poll - how many would leave APUG if it allowed hybrid discussions?

I think a poll would be good, to get a sampling of what people are actually thinking and doing. Obviously all photos on this site are going to be a "hybrid." It ain't a magazine, after all. I regularly post photos for discussion on LF Forum, but don't think I've ever posted any here. There's just that much less traffic here as a result. I did go back and slightly edit my previous post, as I don't think the person I was responding to meant me any harm.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ^Have you read this thread ?

Please read Sean's recent affirmation of the scope of Apug (post 131)

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/...t-scan-14.html
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm just saying, without film, this site becomes devoted to wet plates and emulsion making. I won't be doing that. People who want lively intelligent discussion of film and scanning BUY FILM. They probably develop it and if they can't, they can learn how, here.

You know what'll happen on a digital-focussed website? They'll be told it's easier cheaper better to buy a digicam, and a you're all done. It's absurd.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Talking about scanning on APUG would be like talking about film photography on the volkswagen forum. some things just don't belong...get it?
    Obviously there is no consensus on that point otherwise it wouldn't be the source of most of the tension on this forum. It is also a closed gate and censorship attitude that as much contributes to the decline of film use as tries to segregate.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin