Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,976   Online: 803

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Scanning negatives, hybrid?

Isn't scanning a negative and posting it after using ''invert'' a hybrid process? Perhaps this topic has been discussed before, but I'm curious to hear what others think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah some years ago I posted an inverted paper neg and was spanked a bit Just indicate if it's a neg scan and all is good. And show prints whenever possible! Some people don't have the ability to make or scan prints, so showing inverted neg scans is okay. Now... manipulation of negs e.g. In photoshop is definitely hybrid and not a welcome topic to most on apug.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't ask.....don't tell....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Sean's gallery upload terms say neg scans are OK...

"Please refrain from posting any images that have been manipulated digitally such as converting color images to black and white, photoshop filtering tricks, etc. Also no multi-media/mixed media hybrid images or hybrid images in general, this includes digitally enlarged negatives which are then contact printed (see our sister site hybridphoto.com if you are interested in sharing such work). All images posted should be a representation of 100% traditional work, typically negative scans or print scans produced from a 100% traditional workflow.

The uploaded image should be the best representation of the actual final print and nothing more. We still accept neg scans in the galleries. We accept that some adjustment of contrast, brightness and sharpness may be needed to match the physical print and, for negative scans, to approximate a straight print.

Failure to follow the above rules will result in deletion of your image. Please respect the spirit of this community and our desire to share scans of 100% traditional based work in the galleries. If you understand the above rules then continue below. Thank You."

Does this help?
    Andy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have posted negative scans where the scan was manipulated to match a print I made in the darkroom that was to large for my scanner. I imagine this is a gray area, but I imagine minor adjustments to the scan for contrast and simple dodge and burn operations are OK as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Sean's gallery upload terms say neg scans are OK...

"(see our sister site hybridphoto.com if you are interested in sharing such work).
    It's too bad that this forum/site has become Digital Photography User Groupd DPUG and really feels more like a digital budding group than an Hybrid group. There is also a scarcity of post and quite frankly there nowhere as much information on development than at APUG.

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar F2
    Multi format P&S 4x5, 6x12, 6x9 # Chamonix Saber
    6x6 # Minolta Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak Medalist

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I am using lenses from the 1850s & 1860s, sometimes shot with a camera either from 1880s (Watson & Son half plate) or a 2010 Chamonix 45n, shooting sheets of Efke 25. I send the negs out to be processed. I then scan the negs with an Epson v700, clean them up in CS5, resize and post. This works very well for me. I'm using a spectrum of technology from photography's very earliest days to its very latest.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Those who would like to see more traffic on topics that interest them on DPUG.org should by all means go to DPUG.org and post.

DPUG is open for all kinds of discussion involving hybrid digital/analogue photography and digital photography for photographers with an APUG sensibility. While traffic is lower on DPUG, the signal-to-noise ratio is higher than on APUG, and it is a rich source of information on the topics that people have discussed there, and particularly for traditional printmaking with digital negatives.

As for the original question, it's a topic that comes up a couple of times a year, and I think the gallery upload terms that zsas reposted in post #4 above explain APUG's position on this adequately.

The APUG online galleries are a way of sharing work and technical information when seeing real prints isn't a possibility or isn't convenient. We all recognize that whatever appears in the gallery may bear no resemblance to the work itself, and the APUG print exchanges, postcard exchange, regional gatherings, group shows, and traveling portfolios should be regarded as the true APUG galleries.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    scanning negatives is like masturbating...do it all you like. just don't talk about it here....if you wanna discuss that sort of stuff do it at DPUG.
    NOT HERE, please.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    IMHO, the print is the product; the negative alone is only part of the story.

Scanned negative = unfinished work. Make a print, then show it.
    - Ian

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin