Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,948   Posts: 1,557,856   Online: 796

Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Community Suggestions

In light of the fact we have today lost a few members over a certain thread, I would like to start a POSITIVE thread about building a community.

Now this is just my opinion, but after all have had their say, maybe we can then come up with a list of guidelines for community behavior. I leave that to Sean to cull out what would work.

I propose in the spirit of TOLERENCE that relgion unless it directly relates to a photograph be a non subject. We are a community of different ideologies, and theologoies. Bashing one or most, does no good but to show intolerance by us to the world.

I propose that ALL disscussion about politics be banned unless it directly relates to a photograph, or a proposed measure that would seriously impact the WHOLE community. Ie to this last bit, a move world wide to ban rodinal would get to Morten and others, and would be of interest.

I propose that if threads deter into dangerous ground that would be offensive to a segment of our community, that we take it upon ourselves to listen when those voices ask us to stop.I was sentA PM from one of the people who chose to leave. That person has asked in one of the threads for it to stop, and it was unheeded. We are supposed adults, lets act like one.

I propose have a forum about what excites us as opposed to what makes us upset. We all remember our first film development. We all know the rush we have when a scene before us sings and we attempt to capture it. We all know the joy of seeing others who go through their firsts. Who are these people? Where are these people? Why not pick a person and do an interview, more than the featured member is. Get to the heart of that person, get to know who and what they are, so we can all begin to understand. We do not walk the same paths, lets enjoy the new discoveries of other paths.

I open this up for more suggestions.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hey Aggie.....RIGHT ON!!

P.S. No fuel/No fire
    "EVERY film and paper is good .......... for something"
    Phil Davis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Avoiding politics and religion in polite company? That's just manners.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Aggie,once again you are the voice of reason.I wasn't aware anyone left,I'll have to re-read some of the posts.I hope they change their minds as I enjoy hearing everyones point of view on things.
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree with you Aggie whole heartedly!
    How very much do they err who consider the absence of order and method as implying greater liberty or removing a sense of restraint! C. Elizabeth Tonna

http://www.81x.com/Litebox/Grace_Cox_Photography

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Avoiding politics and religion in polite company? That's just manners.
    And shows outgoing concern for the well being of others.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    In light of the fact we have today lost a few members over a certain thread,...
    Now this is just my opinion, but after all have had their say, maybe we can then come up with a list of guidelines for community behavior. I leave that to Sean to cull out what would work.
    I propose in the spirit of TOLERENCE that relgion unless it directly relates to a photograph be a non subject. We are a community of different ideologies, and theologoies. Bashing one or most, does no good but to show intolerance by us to the world.
    I propose that ALL disscussion about politics be banned unless it directly relates to a photograph, or a proposed measure that would seriously impact the WHOLE community...
    There is no way I could agree more. You've said it all.

We here can invoke one requirement: Mature conduct - in the true sense of
    the word. I have no doubt of what is "flammable" ... and I won't do that.
    Some here apparently have not learned the lessons they should have in kindergarten.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Images
    Liberal Hippy Freak

Sounds like a good idea but these subjects will always come up, in one form or another. Sean tried this and look what happened the moment the election ended. As artists and humans we are all passionate and get hot under the collar at times. We may agree now but there is no way that we can be certain that some if not all will hold true to their word as arguments heat up. I hate proposing this but I think the community has grown to a point where a a moderator would be neccesary. Some, including myself, at times, have crossed the line. Sean is only one person and this is not his life, or livelyhood. He also has to sleep while some of these arguments rage.

I know that Jorge was a moderator at one point but left because it got personal. If there was some way for this person or people to be annonymous and hold an account seperate from the one they use on a regular basis then these attacks may not be a problem. I know there was some bad blood between some folks for a while.

Just a thought
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    What did I miss? who left?.....now, lets not all get worked up and make a storm in a glass of water. Sometimes humor does not translate well in this forums, but I dont know that is better that we all become a community of stepford wives just praising each other.

I am catholic and I did not take offense about some of the comments made, if the comments were directed to me, and I did not take offense, why should anybody else?

I dont know, I just dont see the point to start making rules about what we can talk or not talk about.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    What did I miss? who left?.....now, lets not all get worked up and make a storm in a glass of water. Sometimes humor does not translate well in this forums, but I dont know that is better that we all become a community of stepford wives just praising each other.

I am catholic and I did not take offense about some of the comments made, if the comments were directed to me, and I did not take offense, why should anybody else?

I dont know, I just dont see the point to start making rules about what we can talk or not talk about.
    I agree, but there comes a time when folks start spouting the time honored "you've made my ignore list." and other such phrases. These happen, most often during non-photo topics. I personally do want to see topics banned either. Refereed maybe but not banned.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin