Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,066   Online: 1180

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ralph,
    I am glad you are aboard. I really appreciate your warped sense of humor. I gotta get my "Clown/Politician" photos scanned!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, interesting question and here is my comment, and I will not bring politics into this. But be warned, I am an artist so those who don't think photography is art or artists who question what they or others do should not post, be warned

I have recently had another exhibition. http://www.photospace.co.nz/expo085.htm

I had worked on this for some time and the theme was personal to me on several levels. I ended up hanging a large body of work that was to be viewed as one work. Of late much of the way I see has been influenced by Renaissance painters and the work of a New Zealand artist Colin McCahon. I wanted to look, like McCahon did, at the spiritual relationship that I have with the sea and the land. The show was successful on some levels, I got good feedback, sold the work to a collector and people told me they liked the show.

BUT.

I felt ambivalent when I hung it and each time I came back to it I looked at it and thought no, its not good enough, its too personal, too obvious and pretty. I had spent too much time when I was putting the show together thinking will it sell, not is it what I wanted to show and showed images to people to get their opinions.

Anyway what I am saying here is that I made a decision as the show came down that I must do what I want and have subsequently begun revisiting the idea and re-shooting and refining the idea without any outside input. This is way way outside my comfort zone but I think its going to work.

In this case my getting outside the box is going to be trusting, completely, my own judgement
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Biker people....Book....Huh?
    LOL..sorry Mark, got you mixed up with Mike Pry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ralph:

I hope that was an ANALOG shot of Mickey...You know that digital images of crime scenes are inadmissable in the court of APUG...
    Fixer scented Glade; for those that just can't leave the darkroom.

For all the talk about thinking outside the box, there's a few people here I'd like to see think INSIDE the box... just once!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thinking out of the box for me would be waterfalls, landscapes, church interiors, dog portraits, and nudes. Now what the hell do I do?? Guess I'll stick to brightwork on '37 Plymouths.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    See what happens...you become famous...star in a few movies...then fame fades...you get older...next thing you know your found dead in your pool in Malibu with enough Valium in your system to take down Dumbo.....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    The Halloween Parade, Weegee style was definitely out of the box for me.
    David, I think you've hit upon a niche. This and the other one you posted truly connect with the spirit of Weegee. When will we see a good crime scene shot? :o
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Was that Eisner or Ovitz floating facedown???
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think I'm stuck inside the box.

And then someone comes along and finds one of my images disturbing. So to them, I guess I'm outside the box.

I'm still looking for the boundary of the f*****' box.

Guess it's better to be two places at once than nowhere at all.
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin