Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,707   Online: 906

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't understand.

I like my box, I'm good at working within my box. I enjoy the shots I get from my box.

Who says I have to get out of it? I'm doing this for myself, not to please someone who doesn't know which box they fit in.

I'm not stuck in it - I choose to be in it.
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have to start reading more carefully. I have been running around barefoot for days because I thought we were supposed to think outside the socks.
    Pity the dyslexic agnostic insomniac who lies awake night after night wondering if there is a dog.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun."

I think the guy who wrote the following is on to something.
    "For all the talk about thinking outside the box, there's a few people here I'd like to see think INSIDE the box... just once! "

What's wrong with a pretty picture of a waterfall? Or a sand dune or a nude? Name the subject of one of your favorite famous images; is it the only existing picture of that subject? Who are we trying to kid? Do we think that we can point a lens at something new or in a new way and give the whole world a new meaning? They're just pictures. Some of us make them because we like to make them. I only make them because I refuse to watch TV and so I have some extra time to kill.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    I only make them because I refuse to watch TV and so I have some extra time to kill.
    Having seen Mateo's prints, I don't believe that for a second!
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Living in the desert here in Tucson, just once I'd like to actually SEE a waterfall. There is a narrow gorge near town which has a waterfall flowing once in a blue moon, which I would like to capture. It is incredible, with water flowing through the desert in a torrent, but alas, we don't normally get enough rain to make it run most years and the water is brown.

Last weekend I took MF shots of people photographing landscapes in a beautiful area. We've been there many times, but I wanted to see my friends doing what they enjoy most, not take more landscapes as I'd been doing for months. I showed the scan of the picture of "Rocky" to his wife last night and she really enjoyed my take on her husband's work, his intensity. Certainly not great art, but a decent image of a man whose company I've enjoyed for many years now and I look forward to sharing many more with, if time allows. It will be framed as a Christmas gift for them.

I think Grace has a valid observation, but alas, art is so elusive and I am a mechanic, not an artist. My photograps are more mechanical, while my mechanics are more my art (see the two mesquite cameras I built as an example of my "art").

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker
    Having seen Mateo's prints, I don't believe that for a second!
    Right .. I ...

Say!! WAIT A MINUTE!! What was that avatar??

You have my attention ... ignore the "forbidden images" B.S. that has been floating around here. A larger image, please. I'm getting major eyestrain!!
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only person on this forum who has long admitted to even having a box is Eric R and he's probably hoping he can move into an apartment someday.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley
    David, I think you've hit upon a niche. This and the other one you posted truly connect with the spirit of Weegee. When will we see a good crime scene shot? :o
    Hmmm... time to buy that police scanner and take up smoking so that I can remember Weegee's rule about not throwing a lit cigar butt on the street at the scene of a car crash, because there might be gasoline all over the road.

I think of all the shots I took at the parade, this one was the most Weegee-esque--

http://www.echonyc.com/~goldfarb/halloween/hall7.htm
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Here's a personal example.

Currently, I have several long term projects that are still underway. I tend to challenge myself by adding variety into the way I do things.

For instance. Around the new year I will be completing a set of figure studies that I have been working on. But I'm looking ahead to what will be next as well.

My current work is shot completely in LF. While MF would be quicker, I felt I needed to change my way of seeing and decided that the constraints of LF (as well as the benefits) were good for me at this time. This project has taken multiple shoots, many sheets of film, a lot of time etc... It has been planned in every regard, from poses to props etc.

My next project will try to challenge me again. I've bought a Holga and want to do a one day portfolio. I wanted to free myself of the formal way of doing things in LF. I'll take a day and just go out into the world and figure something out as I go. I'll shoot 18 rolls of film because that's what I can develop in a basket in my large deep tanks. From those 18 I'll put together a body of work. Either way, I have one day to do all the shooting. Something different to force myself to think differently.

My way... What works for me, is to change the way I'm doing things that will keep me fresh. There is a re-occuring style that defines my work, but I do like to work on a wide range of subjects.

joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Symchyshyn
    My next project will try to challenge me again. I've bought a Holga and want to do a one day portfolio. I wanted to free myself of the formal way of doing things in LF. I'll take a day and just go out into the world and figure something out as I go. I'll shoot 18 rolls of film because that's what I can develop in a basket in my large deep tanks. From those 18 I'll put together a body of work. Either way, I have one day to do all the shooting. Something different to force myself to think differently.

joe
    18 ROLLS!! IN 1 DAY!
    Wow that in it's self could be a challenge? (24 or 36 exp?)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin