Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,746   Posts: 1,515,662   Online: 727

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Images

Stepping out of the box

This thread was inspired by Grace's post about being tired of seeing things presented in the same old way. And her comment to me about staying in our comfort zones. She is not the only one to voice a distaste of the "boring, tired, cookie cutter" images in the gallery.(I did a little search for those words and they are not all grace's) Maybe they are right maybe they are wrong it does not matter. What does matter is that it IS important for us to step out of what we feel comfortable with and do something different.

So, those of you who feel this way and everyone else, how are you stepping out of your comfort zone?

I'll go first.
    My motto for a number of years has been "I hate people". Lately I have been thinking that maybe I might be missing something by avoiding them unless absolutely necessary. Because of this I have been shooting a lot more people(with a camera of course) and actually talking to them. Not all of them are terrible.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Halloween Parade, Weegee style was definitely out of the box for me. I've done some street photography in the past, but always available light, and typically 35mm or 6x6. When I do use on-camera flash, it tends to be diffused. I'll even use a 12x16" softbox with the flash on a bracket.

For this I went for hard direct flash, 4x5" rangefinder. It was fun!

flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think I go out of my "comfort zone" whenever I do street shoots (for fun and not pay I consider them as different from reportage). They or rather people scare me as I have no control, have to explain myself which I hate and can spend a whole day out without a shot I really like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I get out of my comfort zone evey morning when the alarm goes off...
    Actually like TTPhotog and Mark, I have a tough time with people. I like urban landscape but not if anyone is near.
    give me a city with few or no people and I'll show you boring shots...
    actually i could do that without that

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    So, those of you who feel this way and everyone else, how are you stepping out of your comfort zone?
    After shooting 35mm for 30 years, I gave it up for Large Format (4x5).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    My motto for a number of years has been "I hate people".
    I bet you did not say that to those biker people in your book...

You dont hate people, you just hate people who dont agree with you. I understand I feel the same way.....lol...

Kidding mike....

I changed processes, and doing so forced me to "see" differently. I was bored with my silver prints and found them ordinary, even thought well printed. So changing process forced me to focus in different qualities of a subject.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    I bet you did not say that to those biker people in your book...

You dont hate people, you just hate people who dont agree with you. I understand I feel the same way.....lol...

Kidding mike....

I changed processes, and doing so forced me to "see" differently. I was bored with my silver prints and found them ordinary, even thought well printed. So changing process forced me to focus in different qualities of a subject.
    Biker people....Book....Huh?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    I guess I'm new enough to have not gotten myself into a box yet. I'm always trying new things and experimenting with ideas. My primary interest is in shooting birds - but who would know that from the images I've posted? I shoot primarily color but I do shoot b&w from time to time. I have little interest in shooting landscapes but I shoot them any way. The one thing I think I neglect that I shouldn't is still life. I'm not going to concern myself over not shooting portraits and nudes. I have a life time to work with, I don't need to do it all this year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Venturing out of the box can be dangerous . . .

[COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Venturing out of the box can be dangerous . . .

OMG ...Mickeys dead...Maybe he found Jesus too!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin