Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,597   Online: 853

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    The photographs are so cliche they make my stomach turn. They are the McDonalds of photography. And they claim titles and awards and a "Cretan School". They are the Taliban of the art world, clinging to stupid rules and technology like crazed fundamentalists.
    Check them out over here:
    http://www.efecrete.gr/Gallery.htm
    (I think the page has only greek, but you only need to see the photos!)
    Well, I took a quick peek, and actually found some nice shots there. Nothing really spectacular, but OK. The "Critics" section (lower part of the first link) with portraits does have really old-fashioned portraits, though. Just like those of 100 years ago
    Otherwise, not really that bad - IMHO.

Denis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    http://www.efecrete.gr/Gallery.htm

Must be the same for most photo clubs.[/QUOTE]

YES, it is!

Mine, too

There are A LOT of stuff that is "trendy" right now. Mostly digitally made collages (mostly a model shot in a studio and some different background), water trannies and macro-photo of flowers...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well ... Praise be!! There are others here that feel the same way about "Photography Clubs" as I do!!!

I've been asked, a number of times, to join. I won't - every "club" I've ever encountered has always been an organization of Brahmins, and all they really do is try to convince each other that "My camera is better than your camera", and "Your work sucks, and mine doesn't."

I've heard the argument ... "But ... it's a great place to learn!" As far as I can tell, they are a great place to learn - to CONFORM. I know of *no* significant innovators that rose from the Camera Club ranks. I don't think that is possible, while one is primarily trying to protect one's gluteus maximus from what will probably happen at the next month's meeting.

As far as the "Competitions and Critiques" - it all depends ... are you really a masochist? If so ... enjoy!
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    ... are you really a masochist? If so ... enjoy!
    Maybe that should be the moto for most photography clubs .... quick copyright it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Ed Sukach] I know of *no* significant innovators that rose from the Camera Club ranks.

Harry Callahan was quite a motivator and I believe he started in a camera club as did Charlie Harbutt, a former President of Magnum, and I rate him as the best teacher/motivator that I know.

I tend to agree with a lot of what has been said in this thread having experienced it in my time as a camera club member. I did try to change things in the club that I was in but it was a waste of time and effort so I stopped because I was getting frustrated just as sparx is. However, I also took the view that these people who caused me the frustration had the right to their views etc and I thought "who was I too try to change those views" so I left the club scene.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Les McLean]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    I know of *no* significant innovators that rose from the Camera Club ranks.

Harry Callahan was quite a motivator and I believe he started in a camera club as did Charlie Harbutt, a former President of Magnum, and I rate him as the best teacher/motivator that I know.
    I will not disagree. I am aware, from reading, about f/64 and Weston's, Adams' and all, involvement with that organization.
    f/64 seemed to fall apart, for the lack of a common formal purpose ... the "why" became, more or less, unanswerable. Without that structure they all stayed ~ squint at this ~ more or less, "in touch".

It is certainly possible that there are "Camera Clubs" that are GEMS ... that have the interests of each and every member at heart, that are totally devoid of devious politics (... hah! I like this redundancy!), and are truly positive influences.

Possible - I'll concede that - but I haven't found one yet... and I'm not exactly holding my breath until I do.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Camera club? What's that?

Do they serve film?
    Imitation cameras come with big egos, real cameras do not include accessories.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If we were not on the opposite sides of the pond, I would have guessed we belong to the same photo club. I was thinking of starting a similar rant today after yesterday's "guest" judging at the photo club, but you beat me to it. It was horrendous - If the photo was not composed with the rule of 3rds in mind, did not leave more space in the direction in which the subject was seeing, if the tones were darker (never mind that it was done deliberately to create the mood), If the primary subject was not at least 1/3rd of the image or were abstracts, you could guarantee that the image would be rejected.

I would say that getting a low score in such a competition would be a complement. I am ashamed to say that I won while there were clearly more impressive images in contention.

So, Why do I keep going back? - 'cause it motivates me to keep shooting given all the "distractions" around me.
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congrats Shesh on your win (I think)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueish
    Congrats Shesh on your win (I think)
    Do NOT rub it in.
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin