Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,211   Online: 781

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jamnut
    Have a look at my local "camera club" gallery. These people have something to teach all of us; it's up to you to decide what.

http://www.imageination.com/picc/gallery.htm

Thanks, all.
    No offense, but it looks to me like they're trying to teach me projectile vomiting.

Sorry - too early on a Saturday and only one cup of coffee so far...

Bruce

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Have a look at my local "camera club" gallery. These people have something to teach all of us; it's up to you to decide what.
    My response is not as extreme as the preceding ones, but it does look like the "Photoshop Filters Appreciation Group!"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Certianly there is some good, well-crafted work here. I don't think that the body of work is as monolithic as that I've seen in some clubs and their exhibitions. However -
    A comment or two: The overall tendency seems to be toward highly saturated color (nearly poster paint-like), and high contrast black and white .. and I did notice the complete absence of my area of fascination - "Life" studies (yeh, yeh .. PC "nekkid").

I no longer belong to any Camera Club ... somewhere, many moons ago, I came to the conclusion that the "teaching" that occurred in those clubs was not done to expand my consciousness and increase my appreciation of other's work, but to restrict and LIMIT my range of interests, so that they conformed more closely to the norms of the clubs.

"They have much to teach" .. true, but I really did not attend those clubs to "be taught". I learned much, but no more than I have by visiting Galleries, and talking - schmoozing - with the photographers exhibiting. I certainly LEARN, but it is not by "being taught" - it is much more of an "assimilation" process.

Join a club for what I (we) can get out of it? Certainly, but that does not preclude not doing anything in return. The question becomes, "What do I get back for what I put in?" There has to be some sort of "balance" between the two or or the member will at some point realize that their membership does not make sense, and will not continue.

I've said it before .. When I find a Camera Club that does not have as its de facto theme, "My Camera is Better Then Your Camera", and "My Work Is Better Than Your Work ... Because It IS", - I'll join.

I am mulling the idea of "Learning by Competition" - But do we? Is that the most efficient way to learn"?
    The competition is the "final test" - (what is being tested is open to debate) -- but the LEARNING happens in practice ... by doing over and over again, with or - usually - without instruction.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin