Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,581   Online: 868

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

The weird and wonderful world of the camera club

I need to rant.
    After attending another session of my local camera club I am once again wondering why I bother. It was a club competition night, no theme, just had to be emprint sized (6x4). Apart from that anything goes. Marks are awarded out of 10 by all members then are totted up to give an average out of 10 score. Our resident pro then gives a short critique on each image and gives his own mark just as a reference. Both my entries have been posted on my blog, [color=#336666]Laura[/color] and [color=#336666]Dead Mans Fingers[/color] and boy did they crash and burn.

I am actually used to this. The club members as a rule are digiphiles and don't do B&W unless it's a requirement so mine never get a good mark. On top of that I didn't take a picture of a horse, a pet or a steam train. I thought the kid shot would do quite well but I was mistaken.

What suprised and disgusted me though, the average mark for all pictures was 6 out of 10 with nothing getting higher than an 8. Worse than that was the comments being made during the pro's critique. They were the stuff of catty 14 year old school girls.

What must we think of ourselves as a club that we cannot appreciate other members photos but instead must pull them down and rip them to pieces. I personally am bored with seeing the same images again and again but, if the picture is well taken, is technically good and well presented i will still give it a good mark. I won't give something 2 out of 10 because I don't like it and then verbally slag it off in front of everyone. That's going to bring in and keep new members isn't it!

Just for the record our Pro gave Laura 81/2 and Dead mans fingers 9, the club gave Laura 5 and Dead man 2!

Will i be going back? Yes i probably will and next time i'm going to enter a cyanotype print of an abstract I took with my home-made pinhole camera. I'm predicting one heart attack, two strokes and a lynch mob out for my blood.

Rant over
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sparx
    I need to rant. ..... Will i be going back? Yes i probably will and next time i'm going to enter a cyanotype print of an abstract I took with my home-made pinhole camera. I'm predicting one heart attack, two strokes and a lynch mob out for my blood.

Rant over
    Well I gues that will clear out some of the "olde school" and allow some space for new blood onto the committee. This story is tipical of why I have always declined offers to join any local camera clubs as I never seem to hear good things about them.

Fear not we love your work

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    Fear not we love your work
    Aw shucks, i'm blushing. Or maybe it's the rope slowly tightening around my neck:o .

There is one reason to keep going back. So far I have been given a JOBO CPE Drum kit, a Rollei Hammerhead Flash, £200 worth of filters, an entire darkrooms worth of equipment and a Meopta Opemus 6 for a tenner! Oh these silly old men and their 3MP cameras!
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In Greece there is the Greek Photographic Society, a club that exists in many localities around the country, including Crete, my local one. I have only gone to one meeting and one exhbition. The photographs are so cliche they make my stomach turn. They are the McDonalds of photography. And they claim titles and awards and a "Cretan School". They are the Taliban of the art world, clinging to stupid rules and technology like crazed fundamentalists. You may have read other posts of mine where I love to slander them and basically repeat what I write here.
    Check them out over here:
    http://www.efecrete.gr/Gallery.htm
    (I think the page has only greek, but you only need to see the photos!)

Must be the same for most photo clubs.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sparx
    Aw shucks, i'm blushing. Or maybe it's the rope slowly tightening around my neck:o .
    LOL Blush away I save the rope for some of my models (MORTEN!!!)

Btw I forgot to ask do they still have the portraiture rule that the shadow of the nose must be below but not cutting into the upper lip or some crap like that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you do that, they may not believe it's a photo or will want to know which filter you used in Photosh**.
    I wasn't too impressed with one of the camera clubs in my area either. A lot of pics of children and grand children, but only other 2 pics, one of a Golden Lab (with his throw the ball already look) and one blurred shot of a woman with umbrella jumping over a puddle. I liked both but no one else seemed to even notice them (no kids I guess). Felt I was at a parents club instead of a photo club. There was no B&W and everything was shot digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Btw I forgot to ask do they still have the portraiture rule that the shadow of the nose must be below but not cutting into the upper lip or some crap like that?
    You know my night class instructor! :o We had to shoot a entire roll using the "butterfly" lighting. "The shadow must cover one half of the upper lip, but make sure you don't get heavy shadows under the eyes."
    Drove me nuts! I was a rebel and kept switching up the lighting. Ended up with a good mark though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueish
    You know my night class instructor! :o We had to shoot a entire roll using the "butterfly" lighting. "The shadow must cover one half of the upper lip, but make sure you don't get heavy shadows under the eyes."
    Drove me nuts! I was a rebel and kept switching up the lighting. Ended up with a good mark though.
    No wonder an earlier thread asked what or if we are doing anything to advance photography. Maybe we could advance it by shooting (with pointy metal projectiles) some of the instructors out there

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    LOL Blush away I save the rope for some of my models (MORTEN!!!)
    Uhhhmmm....Models in bondage!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    Uhhhmmm....Models in bondage!
    Now did I mention bondage? LOL Just think of those textures as props or backgrounds for latex, pvc or even leather

Now how do we get back on topic? ..... I know maybe the camera club would like nice safe traditional pipe smoking fisherman portraiture shot with a backdrop of fishing nets and tackle? You could tone it to give it that "classic" colour digi look

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin