Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,796   Online: 784

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A quandary

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I agree Octo, but what the OP has not mentioned is, in waiting for possibly a while while the white knight recovers from life saving surgery, does the OP have any other camera on hand? I believe that would dictate how one should approach the situation. If the OP has a job to do w/o a camera then he should forget this matter and buy what is needed, but if he has a LF or 35 around, he can get by, why not wait this one out? I would. I suspect the person offering this camera is legit, who would do that especially on a tight knit group like a Hassy forum, but who knows with the internet...
    Last edited by zsas; 01-16-2012 at 12:15 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Type oh
    Andy

Kav

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's hard to say. I say stick with your gut. Also if you are being offered a Hassy with a back and a lens and are worried that it's not going to ever show up then sell the rest of your gear. If it shows up ready to shoot then great. If not then you got some money that you needed anyways from your old gear. If you think this person is going to send it then hold on to yur stuff for say 30 days. If no camera shows up then so be it and sell your gear. From your posts it sounds like you have fallen on hard times and may need the money more then a worring if you're going to be given a camera. Also like Zsas said if you have another camera then go shoot it regardless of format.

And people do give out Hassys I know because someone unknown to me sent me a 500ELX, two backs, and 5 rolls of film last month.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    With the sale of the Hassy, I now have two cameras: a Nikon Coolpix L11 P&S digital camera, which is at hand, and a Nikon FM2N which is literally deeply buried in storage, and which getting out is a half-day project to retrieve.

However, I am grateful that I don't make a living from photography, so on that level, the sale of the Hassy is not a hardship.

Dieter Zakas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by octofish View Post
    <snip>

While it's possible you won't get it - i cant see this as "getting burnt". It's a very generous offer and it's reasonable to be a little cautious/skeptical. If you do get it, all the better. If you don't, sell the gear then.
    The "getting burned" reference was for a previous episode in which someone promised something as gratitude for helping save his life over the course of four month (even though no reward was ever expected), and that person later went back on his word, especially when we started getting down to brass tacks.

Because of this previous experience, I am understandably skeptical of a person's (implied) offer to donate a camera. However, given that he's gone in for valve surgery (he's 80, after all), and is now likely recuperating therefrom, I'll have to be patient.

However, I'll keep everyone apprised.

Dieter Zakas

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    KarnyDoc, I confess...I really do not understand what the issue is either. Seems simple to me. You want to sell you stuff...so, sell it. If some other joker gives you some more stuff...you can sell it too...point is, the two are completely unrelated. Sell you junk and move on. No biggie.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin