Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,465   Online: 827

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Irving Penn, David Bailey, Richard Avedon, Alfred Steiglitz, Edward Weston and Diane Arbus

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    John Gay, Julia Margaret Cameron, David Bailey, Frank Hurley, My father and his hero, Frank Meadow Sutcliffe.

Steve.
    Frank Meadow Sutcliffe was perhaps the English version of Atget. Your post reminded me of his beautiful compositions.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Ed Weston, Ansel Adams, Dorothea Lange, Leonard Nimoy, A. Aubrey Bodine, and Stan Etheridge.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kenny Rogers is a published photographer? I had no idea. Is he any good?

Hmm, assuming the conversation is going to skew photographic, I think I'd want to focus on people with ideas, and also avoid people with well-known unswerving opinions. For instance, for all his many virtues, I don't know that AA would be a very desirable photographic conversationalist---his writing, at least, reads to me like someone who lives in a mode of "arrive at the right solution first, then articulate it and be done". On the other hand, Robert Capa's writing suggests that he must have been a hell of a raconteur, so even though I'm not sure he was much for talking about photography (he seems more like the go-out-and-do-it type), I think I want him at the table for social reasons.

OK: Capa, Weegee, Man Ray, and Werner Bischof; my great-grandfather Dick Millard, and one photographer of his choice. (Bischof is a bit of a leap in the dark; I like his work, its voice *seems* like someone I'd like personally, but I have no real idea of the personality behind the camera.)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    To Ntenny,

His coffee table book "Your Friends and Mine" published by Little. Brown and Company in 1987
    contains portraits of celebreties photographed in large format in both black nd white and color

You will have to judge for yourself as to the quality of his work.

H

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jerry Uelsmann, Philip Halsman, Karsh, Avedon, Curtis, Patrik Demarchelier

Cheers Armin
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Which photographers would be most likely to bring a good bottle of wine if invited?

Outside of that consideration:

Karsh
    Jeff Wall
    Diane Arbus

I'd say William Eggleston, except he apparently isn't much of a conversationalist.

Edward Weston
    Julia Margaret Cameron
    David Bailey
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Hmm great question!

I would place Ansel in charge of carving the turkey and make sure that his carving knife is very sharp and that he is sitting close, very close, to Antonio Perez. I would of course position Weegee on the other side of Perez. Next to Ansel would be myself, because I want to see if I can beat Weegee to the scene of the crime.

I think Henri would be very quiet so I would put him next to Weegee, and I think Henri would enjoy having Man Ray at his side, and next to Brigitte Bardot. Beside Bardot would be Edward Weston, and at his side would be Karl Marx. Next to Karl would be none other than Imogene Cunningham, and then George Eastman. Beside George would be Ron Mowrey, who would sit next to Julia Child. Between Julia and myself would be Andre Kertesz.

And and all my friends on APUG would be invited too, of course

Hahah excellent! +1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would choose Capa, Brassai, Lewis Hine, Stieglitz, Henri Cartier-Bresson, and last seat is a toss up between Edward Curtis and Eugene Smith.

We would chat about moments of their lives that in their own opinions stuck out the most to them, eureka moments, first hand stories about their adventures and travels, lifelong regrets, and how the afterlife is. And their opinions on the state of photography today. Then we all get drunk LOL

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    1.Brassai, French night photographer 1930s.

2.O.W.Link, American night photographer of trains, 1950s

3. E.O.Hoppe, British industrial/landscape photographer, 20s-40s.

4. Andrew J. Sullivan, American photograher Civil War, Western railroads 1860s-1870s

5. Edouard Baldus, French photographer of landscapes, architecture, railroads 1840s to 1860s.

6. Fox Talbot, British. I'd like to ask him if photography turned out anywhere near what he predicted.

I love night photography and am also into historical cameras. I also photo a lot of trains. I could have added Richard Steinheimer, Mel Patrick, and Shaunessey--all of whom are more modern night time railroad photographers. I actually have had lunch with David Plowden in recent years, twice.

Kent in SD

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin