Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,365   Online: 824

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Dream Dinner Party

If you could invite 6 photographers (past or present) to your dream dinner party, who would you choose? I would invite Fox Talbot, HCB, Atget, Robert Capa, Dorothea Lange and Julia Margaret Cameron. What topics would you like to discuss?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HCB, Brassai, Kertesz, Man-Ray, Erwitt, Gibson - and I'd love to let them pick the topics. But if I could ask them questions, it would be solely about how to remove BS from my work flow.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gertrude Käsebier, Emmet Gowin, Ralph Eugene Meatyard, Sally Mann, Alfred Steiglitz, and Helen Levitt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think I could come up with 6 for the same party unless the topics were quite varied. For example there are some photographers who's work I love, but I'm not sure I'd have much to ask them. Stephen Shore would be a good example. I'd also love to have Stanley Kubrick there but I'm afraid I'd get too sidetracked on movies.

So, since mostly I'd like to talk about printing, I'd invite Ansel Adams, George Tice and John Sexton.

I did a workshop with Sexton, but I'd still invite him. I still have some technical questions for him and it would be great to reunite him with Adams for a discussion. It would be great to be able to ask each of them in detail about the making of some of my favourite photographs.

I'd also like to ask each of them how they deal with disappointments in their work, and how they "move on" from image to image.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 01-12-2012 at 02:23 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would like to talk to Ansel Adams and Sally Mann.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    I would like to talk to Ansel Adams and Sally Mann.

Jeff
    But you have to invite 6. Who are the other 4?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    But you have to invite 6. Who are the other 4?
    I can't that high.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Winogrand, Rodchenko, HCB, Capa, Karsh and Erich Salomon. I'd let them choose the topics.

Shooter
    35mm
    Jim Marshall, Mick Rock, Henry Diltz, Elliott Erwitt, Andre Kertesz and Weegee.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul VanAudenhove View Post
    Jim Marshall, Mick Rock, Henry Diltz, Elliott Erwitt, Andre Kertesz and Weegee.
    Seeing this post, could I swap Robert Capa for Weegee?

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin