Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,291   Online: 905

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd follow the examples of my betters such as Capa and go along the lines of answer D. But I'd use the media outside of my own country which would hopefully still be free to tell the truth. I've always been told I have too much of a social conscience (sp?) for my own good, but better to die honestly in resistance than of old age and censored.

I would get my wife; child; cat and dog out of the country though to make sure they were safe.

Now go back to sleep Jim, no more cheese before bedtime for you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    ... better to die honestly in resistance than of old age and censored.
    My thoughts precisely...

Most of my life has been spent taking on government in one way or another... as a trades unionist supporting the miners against Thatcher, as a tax-payer protesting the Poll Tax (got my head split open and my camera smashed by a police baton in Trafalgar Square), as a couple of examples... so I think, as Tony said, I would make sure my family were safely out of the country and then choose option d.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    Here is a very specific example of this in action.
    The savage reprisals carried out in the wake of Heydrich's assassination were apparently very hard on the Czech resistance movement.

Lidice

It's food for thought.

Kent
    I was pretty much thinking along those lines,Lidice,Oradour,everyday in Poland,Ukraine,Serbia,etc to mention but a few.Oh of course I almost forgot the savage reprisals by the Gestapo against the memebers and families
    of the July 1944 failed coup,assassination attempt against Hitler.
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd follow the examples of my betters such as Capa and go along the lines of answer D. But I'd use the media outside of my own country which would hopefully still be free to tell the truth. I've always been told I have too much of a social conscience (sp?) for my own good, but better to die honestly in resistance than of old age and censored.

I would get my wife; child; cat and dog out of the country though to make sure they were safe.

Now go back to sleep Jim, no more cheese before bedtime for you
    You're assuming of course that radios in the country you left like computers
    and other "free media" sources wouldn't be illegal as well.
    The getting family out and safe is a good idea but with a "kith and Kin"
    doctrine as pursued by the SS your extended family is at risk as well.
    Possibly even the cat and dogs veternarians,your friends and co-workers
    who of course "had always known of your activites". when they are tortured
    they'll confess that you and they plotted to do all kinds of "traitorous" acts.
    Yeah,I'm awake now-the lack of cheese didn't help...
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If things were that bad I'd shoot both film (or to be honest digi as I wouldn't have time for the real stuff) and bullet. I was a county marksman and later that training was reinforced by four years in the police force, so I would use the training against those that taught me. The bullet would of course take preference as I would invoke the old 10 of them for every one of mine.

I see that must have been mature cheese

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If things were that bad I'd shoot both film (or to be honest digi as I wouldn't have time for the real stuff) and bullet. I was a county marksman and later that training was reinforced by four years in the police force, so I would use the training against those that taught me. The bullet would of course take preference as I would invoke the old 10 of them for every one of mine.

I see that must have been mature cheese

So what you're saying is you would continue your photography and become a resistance member with the knowledge that if you're caught or another
    member is caught and "names names"(yours being one of them) that your entire circle of friends,co-workers,extended family,possibly the entire town you're from is going to pay the price for your actions.
    What I'm trying to find out is what can you do in a seemingly impossible situation where a potential dictatorship with todays technology(including DNA
    "fingerprinting")has the ability to not only curtail your rights to something as seemingly innocuous as photography but make it so that you either submit to serve the state or put everything and everyone around you in harms way.
    This is why the options I produced don't appear,at least to me,to be viable
    options-basically every action you take sets in motion a sequence of events
    whose outcome only feeds upon itself.
    I think the cheese was Swiss,very tasty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your original question said nothiing about 'kith and kin' punishments.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jim when all it's lost the only option for me as a person is crash and burn, but take as many of the buggers with you that you can.

Ultimately the only consequence is death and we are all going to do that one day anyway. Karl Marx nailed it with "workers of the world unite you have nothing to lose but your chains". The chains may take many forms and disguises but may also be a reference to a living death.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Your original question said nothiing about 'kith and kin' punishments.
    True,that's why I included a letter "G" I knew there was things I had forgotten,so I tossed it in later.Sorry for the oversight but as I'm not
    a member of a secret police force I can't think of everything but I do
    believe that the general rules in most dictatorships have let secret police
    agencies attack families and friends as well,I forgot about children telling on
    their parents for subversive activities too-so I'll just toss in the "you may not
    be able to trust even your relatives in the police state" ala the Hitler Youth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It doesn't take Secret Police to bring in a police state. Within the next decade our (UK) government has proposed all British citizens have compulsory 'biometric' ID Cards (Containing retina scans, fingerprints, DNA information), and they also propose satellite tracking of every privately owned motor vehicle in the UK. All vehicles are to be fitted with a 'black box' transmitter for tracking purposes. This is to help cut down on road traffic accidents!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin