Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,054   Posts: 1,561,275   Online: 1098

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    Jim when all it's lost the only option for me as a person is crash and burn, but take as many of the buggers with you that you can.

The chains may take many forms and disguises but may also be a reference to a living death.
    Good answer,dangerous yes but apparently you're prepared for the consequences.In the end I'd probably do it too and hope that my family,friends,etc can forgive me for doing what I believe in(and not curse me for being the states reason to kill them all) but of
    course I'd prefer another option-one which I'm not sure is out there.
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    It doesn't take Secret Police to bring in a police state. Within the next decade our (UK) government has proposed all British citizens have compulsory 'biometric' ID Cards (Containing retina scans, fingerprints, DNA information), and they also propose satellite tracking of every privately owned motor vehicle in the UK. All vehicles are to be fitted with a 'black box' transmitter for tracking purposes. This is to help cut down on road traffic accidents!
    Disturbing to say the least...
    Not saying that the current UK govt. would use those things to curtail your freedoms,just as I don't believe the current US govt. would use the Patriot act to curtail ours but who is to say some nut job in the future won't?After all WW2 Germany still had the Weimar constitution in force with "Fuhrer Decrees" added to it along with the four line "enabling Act" which gave AH
    total power.
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Back to topic ..... only time will tell .......!
    Last edited by TPPhotog; 11-07-2004 at 07:13 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Edited as I drifted off topic ... sorry

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog

Back to topic ..... only time will tell .......!
    Thankfully all of us on this website have the right,ability to photograph basically anything ,anywhere we want-with some restriction of course.
    Unfortunately there are many in the world who don't have that right nor the right to be on this website either discussing the thing that brings us all here to begin with.But how easily that can change-all at once or your rights to photography could die a little each day,piece by piece.That was and still is the object of this post-what if that right we all enjoy,possibly taken for granted is at some point taken away.What options are out there that are
    acceptable when something as unsinister as photographic freedom is gone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the real danger in all societies is that events can result in reactions with the best possible intentions, but the results are the loss of freedom and an erosion of democracy. I don't think any of us will ever see something in photography like the changes in the firearms act over here. which basically said as of ...... you will not have firearms in all these categories.

I do think that compared to when I started back in around 1976 things are now very different. In those days you went out with a camera, people either smiled or turned away, you got the shot whatever it was and some of them even said thank you for being considered worthy of being in the picture. Now with have all the paranoias and restrictions discussed in previous threads.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Williams
    We are able to take photos of most anything we like, discounting things now considered security concerns...
    Depends where you are. Readers of the UK weekly "Amateur Photographer" are aware that this is not the case in the UK.

The London police work on the assumption (apparently under orders from their bosses) that anyone taking photos in a public place where children are present is a paedophile, and should be arrested and their equipment confiscated until they can prove otherwise. The police advise that anyone wishing to take photos in a public place where children might be present should get police permission first.

In Manchester one reader was almost arrested because he took some architectural detail photos, and just happened to have a tax office as a back drop. The police took the line that photographing any government buildings was now illegal under the prevention of terrorism act.

And a reader out with an AP columnist near the Houses of Parliament had a run in with the police becaise some of his photos happened to include the spy cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim kirk jr.
    What if photography was outlawed in your
    country as "beholding images","idoltry",or anyone with a camera had to register it with the authorities(hey in ww2 the Nazi's had everyone register
    their bicycles and that sounds ridiculous even for a dictatorship-also radios).
    You know the Santa Clara police even made my children register their bicycles. I'm marching right over there to complain about that to those Taliban scum.

(PS: get and read a copy of Red Color News Soldier)

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    [QUOTE=bjorke]You know the Santa Clara police even made my children register their bicycles. I'm marching right over there to complain about that to those Taliban scum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A quick story: I live in a highly multicultural city. I was out shooting with a friend on one of the main streets here and we unknowingly wandered into a muslim section (it didn't exist 5 years ago!). While my friend went into a store for something I just happened to point my TLR at a store window that had an odd-looking rubber plant in it - I didn't take a picture. Within seconds I was surrounded by 5 muslim men who were ready to beat the crap out of me. The leader told me, in no uncertain terms, that I am allowed to photograph the sky, the trees and the birds but not people or their property (including their cars) and that as a photographer I should know that. I resisted the desire to tell him he was full of shit and should read the laws of the country he is living in, but that would've just given them the excuse they were looking for.

It was at that point that I realized that no matter how 'peaceful and serene' someone says their religion is that they might suddenly turn the opposite if their beliefs are challenged. I also thought about the question of what would happen if the fastest growing religion in the world would eventually have any influence whatsoever in my country. The answer would be that what I take for granted could be taken from me. In reality I doubt this would ever happen in Canada but the fact is that there is already a small area of my city - the city that I have grown up in - where my health could be threatened just because I put a camera to my eye.

I can't imagine living in a society where I do not have the freedoms that I am used to and I'm thankful that I live in a society that tries to use rational thought to govern rather than an old, tattered religious manuscript or the writings of a megalomaniac.
    Is there anything donuts can't do.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandalay
    I resisted the desire to tell him he was full of shit and should read the laws of the country he is living in, but that would've just given them the excuse they were looking for.
    That's good. I would hate to see you stomped to death by disciples of Allah the Compassionate, the Merciful.
    Jim

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin