Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,556   Online: 968

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

In the dark of night

Here is my long winded question/proposition;

First let me say that this is not intended in any way to start up a religious or political mess but simply is presented as a "situation",not real for any of us here(at least not yet)only as a "what if."
    Most religions and most of the "isms" that sprung out of the 20th century had
    or still do have there extremists as well as the mainstream.But what if in any
    of the nations in which we live in all of a sudden went the extreme route,either by vote or takeover?What if photography was outlawed in your
    country as "beholding images","idoltry",or anyone with a camera had to register it with the authorities(hey in ww2 the Nazi's had everyone register
    their bicycles and that sounds ridiculous even for a dictatorship-also radios).
    To take a step further if in possession of one illegally you would be executed
    or imprisioned as an enemy of the state unless,of course,you were in the service of said "state" making images that reflected the party or theocratic
    line of thinking(remember the Nazis and Communists both hijacked art and
    every other media for their own purposes).
    Now the question:A)would you abandon photography all together
    b)leave your country,possibly never to return and never
    see friends,familiy or the land you love again
    c)work in the service of the "state" therbye prostituting
    your ability for a govt. that will restrict your expression
    to suit its own ends.
    d)make photos by the hundreds,distributing them on doors
    in the dark of night letting people know that their is
    something else besides the propaganda they're being fed
    risking your life in the process
    e)Hope that somehow it will all go away and stash your
    equipment hoping to not be caught until then
    f)greet every storm trooper that comes to your door with
    a gun with an even bigger gun.
    g)something else that I've completely overlooked-besides
    the "it can't happen here" senario-because it can

Just thought I'd see what the responses would be from people who have the
    ability to enjoy their photography as they see fit would do if it were suddenly
    taken away.I ask because none of the proposals I've posted seem to be an
    option...
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    A very interesting question!!!

I personally would like to think that I would continue to distribute photographs despite what the present political climate was, but knowing my own personally lack of bravado and heroism in the face of a hostile authority I would probably stash my equipment and hope the strom blew over quickly.

There was a song that came out a while ago that went something like this:

"And how many people sick of holding it back?
    I am I am
    And how many people wanna kick some ass?
    I would if I could
    But I'm really just a sensitive artist"

The song was not very good, but I would have to say that I can identify with those lyrics every now and then.

A sad thing to admit, but very true.
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=2]"We are not at War, we are having a nervous breakdown". Hunter S. Thompson[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would stash my cameras for the time being and build guns until there was no more need for me to do so. When there was no more need for me to build guns it would be an indicator that I could dig up my back yard to retrieve my cameras. In the mean time, between the gun building, I'd perfect the wrist watch camera ala Dick Tracy. I have a machinist/welding background. Partial resume attached. May come in handy. Call me when the next "Paul Revere" rides by.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gas eng.jpg   steam.jpg  
    [COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Arial]Some days are diamonds. Some days a tree crashes through your roof.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    Cool gizmos Dean! And apparently non-lethal. Why would you need to build guns?
    Thanks Jay.
    The gun thing was tongue in cheek, kinda. Referring to Jim Jrs item "f" about storm troopers. The old cliche(s) apply:
    First, ban their guns, then ban anything else you want.
    Or:
    What do you call unarmed citizens?--Subjects. Etc...They're dozens of 'em.

Jim has a question in there somewhere. We are able to take photos of most anything we like, discounting things now considered security concerns. I recently watched a program on TV about the Vietnamese war photographers. There are few survivors, and the ones that spoke about it related a very rough time trying to do their jobs. They were highly censored and expected to take only those shots suitable for use by approved news agencies and propaganda outlets. Some took it on themselves to provide a balanced photographic view of the war for the sake of posterity. Most had to wait 'til years after the war to show their work for fear of reprisals. I don't know what I would do in their situation. Hopefully I wouldn't hold the price of my own skin so dear as to forsake doing the right thing. It's hard to say though, sitting in a warm house in front of this PC...
    [COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Arial]Some days are diamonds. Some days a tree crashes through your roof.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personally,
    Seeing as for me, photography is a hobby, I would for the moment abandon it in order to turn my attention to more important things...Like going underground and doing my utmost to topple the government.

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Williams
    Hopefully I wouldn't hold the price of my own skin so dear as to forsake doing the right thing. It's hard to say though, sitting in a warm house in front of this PC...

Therein lies the dilemma-deciding what is the "right thing"-it's all relative.
    Doing the right thing becomes an issue if the govt. would institute a "kith and kin" law therbye condemming all of your relatives and I mean the entire bloodline to extinction if you're discovered.Or if your entire village was to pay the price for harboring a "traitor".Do you knowing sacrifice the lives of thousands-even though it would be the govt. ,not you,who is the real traitor.
    Or do you do what you want and at some point become a martyr that may
    disappear and erased,literally,from history.By the way,I would assume that any govt. controlling photography would destroy allnon-govt. computers as well.
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Images
    D, Ignorance is never acceptable.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim kirk jr.
    Therein lies the dilemma-deciding what is the "right thing"-it's all relative.
    Doing the right thing becomes an issue if the govt. would institute a "kith and kin" law therbye condemming all of your relatives and I mean the entire bloodline to extinction if you're discovered.Or if your entire village was to pay the price for harboring a "traitor".Do you knowing sacrifice the lives of thousands-even though it would be the govt. ,not you,who is the real traitor.
    Or do you do what you want and at some point become a martyr that may
    disappear and erased,literally,from history.By the way,I would assume that any govt. controlling photography would destroy allnon-govt. computers as well.
    Here is a very specific example of this in action.
    The savage reprisals carried out in the wake of Heydrich's assassination were apparently very hard on the Czech resistance movement.

Lidice

It's food for thought.

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim kirk jr.
    A)would you abandon photography all together
    b)leave your country,possibly never to return and never
    see friends,familiy or the land you love again
    c)work in the service of the "state" therbye prostituting
    your ability for a govt. that will restrict your expression
    to suit its own ends.
    d)make photos by the hundreds,distributing them on doors
    in the dark of night letting people know that their is
    something else besides the propaganda they're being fed
    risking your life in the process
    e)Hope that somehow it will all go away and stash your
    equipment hoping to not be caught until then
    f)greet every storm trooper that comes to your door with
    a gun with an even bigger gun.
    g)something else that I've completely overlooked-besides
    the "it can't happen here" senario-because it can

Just thought I'd see what the responses would be from people who have the
    ability to enjoy their photography as they see fit would do if it were suddenly
    taken away.
    b)
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    Flee to a sympathetic nation, from which a revolt could be organized, like the Dali Llama.
    Dali Llama: Is that some sort of surrealist animal?

Or do you mean this dude:Dalai Lama

Kent

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin