Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,484   Online: 887

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Plagiarising Ryuji Suzuki?

I googled Konica SD-28 and found a web page entitled "Seventy-six years of D-76". It appears to be an exact copy of an article I remember reading some years ago on Ryuji Suzuki's silvergrain website. The copy is found at http://jeffreysoper.com/node/101. I cannot find the article on Ryuji's site any longer....

As far as I can tell, the copy does not give attibutibution or cite Suzuki anywhere.

It looks like blatant plagiarism to me but, maybe...????

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All of this goes back to original sources quoted in his references. He even quotes references to references such as A&T referring back to Haist. Haist and Dundon did much of the prior reporting on this and that is why all of it sounds so similar.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I googled Konica SD-28 and found a web page entitled "Seventy-six years of D-76". It appears to be an exact copy of an article I remember reading some years ago on Ryuji Suzuki's silvergrain website. The copy is found at http://jeffreysoper.com/node/101. I cannot find the article on Ryuji's site any longer....

As far as I can tell, the copy does not give attibutibution or cite Suzuki anywhere.

It looks like blatant plagiarism to me but, maybe...????
    As the formatting is the same . . . . well spotted. He does mentiont the source though on the next page "The D-76 family of developers was based on an article "Seventy-six years of D-76" published by Ryuji Suzuki (http://silvergrain.org/Photo-Tech/d-76.html)"

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 01-15-2012 at 03:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Isn't this RS's problem? Maybe he gave permission, maybe not, but why not ask him before posting something like this?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=BradS;1286349]I googled Konica SD-28 and found a web page entitled "Seventy-six years of D-76". It appears to be an exact copy of an article I remember reading some years ago on Ryuji Suzuki's silvergrain website. The copy is found at http://jeffreysoper.com/node/101. I cannot find the article on Ryuji's site any longer....

It looks like blatant plagiarism to me but, maybe...????[/QUOT

He's obviously aware of Suzuki's work and cites it here(http://jeffreysoper.com/node/105)but the link's dead.
    Think he's just lazy/sloppy rather than deceitful.
    Call him into your office?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Why not ask Ryuji. He is active on APUG. I recall that quite a while back his web-server - provider - whatever, either crashed or shut down operation and a lot of his online information was lost. I believe he made a request on the alt-photo-process-list to see if anyone had some downloaded material to help restore the site. I forget the details, but as I said, just shoot him an email or pm.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At the bottom, the page says it was written in 2003.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ha, that article is mine. Unless I specifically include express terms of license, people should respect the U.S. copyright laws and general protocol to obtain permission...

For record, I never released anything as "public domain" meaning you can do whatever you want kind of deal.
    I released some material on the web with a type of Creative Commons license that requires proper attribute and allows no derivative work or commercial use.

When asked, I'm generally generous about non-commercial reprint permission. I am usually happy to participate in interviews, lectures or contribute articles. But stealing article without identifying the original author isn't cool...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin