Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,704   Posts: 1,548,474   Online: 853

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Triggered your interest

Do you know what triggered your interest in photography? I can remember my grandfather taking a picture of us in his garden with a box brownie when I was about 5 years old and thinking what is that box and how does it work. Do others have a recollection of what started their interest?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I was sick a lot as a young kid (up to 14 yrs old when my bad tonsils were finally removed). I use to go thru a drawer of "old" (before my time) B&W family photos....square prints with the scalloped edges. In our house I also walked past two photos in the hallway that always attracted my attention -- Watkins 16x20 prints, one of a two-locomotive train stopped at Cape Horn, CA and the other of the Three Brothers in Yosemite Valley.

I still love the square and large contact prints!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A few years ago while I was really active in keeping all sorts of animals, my friend showed me some pictures he took when he went to the amazon and the wildlife pictures were so amazing. That sparked my interest in photography, but I don't photograph wild life at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had always liked taking pictures with whatever camera my mother had in the junk drawer, but I didn't really get hooked until my Sophomore year in high school. I took Photography I as an elective because I would then spend two straight hours in the art wing. By the time my Senior year rolled around, I took Advanced Photography in addition to Art II, III, and IV. I spent 4 hours in the same art class, and my teacher allowed me to spend 4 hours a day in the dark room. Aside from a few other kids who had class after my four hours, I pretty much owned that darkroom that year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When I was in Kindergarten my father showed me how to make images appear on paper. I would have been 5 or 6 and we worked on the garage floor, the safe light was my bed light with brown paper and red celophane taped over it. Dad would place one of his family negatives on top of the paper under a bit of broken glass on the floor, turn on the garage lights, then off again, and he took the paper out from under the glass and placed it into the magic water and the picture would appear! I was shown why the second bath was important by simply turning on the lights and watching the paper go black.

I have loved the whole darkroom experience ever since. Photography is my way of generating more images to play with in the darkroom.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My sister always gave me her old Ansel Adams calendars.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxleyroad View Post
    When I was in Kindergarten my father showed me how to make images appear on paper. I would have been 5 or 6 and we worked on the garage floor, the safe light was my bed light with brown paper and red celophane taped over it. Dad would place one of his family negatives on top of the paper under a bit of broken glass on the floor, turn on the garage lights, then off again, and he took the paper out from under the glass and placed it into the magic water and the picture would appear! I was shown why the second bath was important by simply turning on the lights and watching the paper go black.

I have loved the whole darkroom experience ever since. Photography is my way of generating more images to play with in the darkroom.
    Awesome story...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    My older sister received a Kodak Instamatic for her birthday, and when she showed off the glossy prints processed at the drug store, I became quite jealous. I whined to my parents about the terrible unfainess that she had a fancy-schmancy camera and I had none. My father gave me a camera, a 1939 Balda. Fussy little gadget it was: no neat pop-in film cartridge, touchy focus, shutter and f-stop to bother with. I had to learn to use a light meter and set the camera accordingly. Then, to top it all off, I was told that I had to develop the film myself! I was probably 10 at the time... and so the journey began

I am so glad I didn't get the Instamatic I originally wanted.
    Last edited by Hexavalent; 01-15-2012 at 10:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always disliked being photographed, eventually I ended up behind the camera.
    Usually played with the 110, and 126 cameras, then my brother-in-law let me
    use his SRT-101, and some assorted lenses. When I was 16, I decided it was time
    to get my own Minolta XE-7, 58mm 1.2 Combo, and a bunch of crappy Spiratone lenses !

Ron

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My brother got in the darkroom in high school, and naturally I had to do the same. Then my uncle gave me his nikon fe with some lens and still shoot those to this day.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin