Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,177   Online: 1028

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    ...but
    she shines in her own right.
    Yeah, that's what I get for being polite. I don't think she really does, and I think she was very late to the table. What she does have, though, is a large body of work to sell, a colorful personal history, and she's dead, by her own hand, even--all things that galleries just LOVE to push.
    Last edited by mdarnton; 01-19-2012 at 02:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw the film when they screened it at the Museum of Fine Arts last spring here in Boston. There were aspects of her parents that I found a little troubling, but on the whole, I think they saw her for the very good artist that she was, and that they loved her, but weren't able to recognize that she might have issues with depression.

Her work feels mature for her age, but it still feels like student work to me. I think she was a bit more intense and prolific than many art students, and I suspect that had she lived, she might have become a great fashion photographer. It's a shame that all we have is her student work, but I think it shows more potential than what most student work reveals, and it's rare, I think, to find someone this young making work as interesting as she was. Photography doesn't seem to lend itself to prodigies, but she's about as close to it as possible.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks SuzanneR.

I agree that her work was mature for her age, though I'm still on the fence about it. Of course, her life was art for better or worse and it's not surprising that her work and ideas excelled that of her fellow students - who probably came from mostly normal middle class families. What is surprising is that growing up in a family concerned with traditional art, she levitated towards photography. I can't think of another photographer who received such a disciplined art life from such a young age.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    Yeah, that's what I get for being polite. I don't think she really does, and I think she was very late to the table. What she does have, though, is a large body of work to sell, a colorful personal history, and she's dead, by her own hand, even--all things that galleries just LOVE to push.
    Well I know what things I love to push, and killing yourself isn't one of em. You obviously have more knowledge of what came before in similar genres of photography, so I can understand why you might feel she was late to the table. For me seeing her work was a pretty fresh experience, and I get a sense from it that she had a great excitement about photography. I don't think all of her pictures are masterpieces, but some of the better ones are definitely superb. To me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Her work presents such great loneliness and sadness, and the photos of her merging with her surroundings make me think she was severely neglected as a child. The quote from her mother about how she (the mother) would hate anyone she lived with who did not invest the same time into art as her was so sad and revealing. Poor child never had a chance and obviously had great talent.
    Last edited by errorspending; 02-01-2012 at 12:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I see she is featured today on http://www.artdaily.com/

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by errorspending View Post
    Her work presents such great loneliness and sadness, and the photos of her merging with her surroundings make me think she was severely neglected as a child. The quote from her mother about how she (the mother) would hate anyone she lived with who did not invest the same time into art as her was so sad and revealing. Poor child never had a chance and obviously had great talent.
    That seems quite a leap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin