Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,523   Posts: 1,543,813   Online: 772

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Printing in between two negatives

When you look at a strip of negatives or the end of film where only a partial image may exist, do you sometimes think that an image between two different frames, including the white bar separation and partial image of another frame may be a more interesting to print rather than a single frame in isolation? My question is more about looking at a strip of negatives objectively rather than isolation of a single image.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Yes, often.
    But what's a 'white bar seperation'?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Yes, often.
    But what's a 'white bar seperation'?
    The space separation between two negatives (black when printed).

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Poor man's panorama camera. I have done this. You will need at least a 6x7cm enlarger to get two frames and at least a 4x5in enlarger to get 3 frames across. Use a glass negative holder.

Three across (classic 'tryptic') looks nice.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've kept a collection going over the years of end pieces, blown out mistakes, any texturally interesting bit of film without a proper image on it. I even developed some 70 year old 9x12 sheets found in some ancient film holders just to see what I'd get. They were blank but had oodles of scratches and unusual textures. Not sure what I plan to do with them, but I do find them fascinating. Attached is a scan of one such sheet. It's black and white, but I left the color as the scanner interpreted it. Levels compressed a bit to show texture.

Jonathan

EDIT: Sorry, this reply may have been a bit off topic. I thought you were talking about the blank spaces between images and not printing contiguous frames.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kodak 03.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    I've kept a collection going over the years of end pieces, blown out mistakes, any texturally interesting bit of film without a proper image on it. I even developed some 70 year old 9x12 sheets found in some ancient film holders just to see what I'd get. They were blank but had oodles of scratches and unusual textures. Not sure what I plan to do with them, but I do find them fascinating. Attached is a scan of one such sheet. It's black and white, but I left the color as the scanner interpreted it. Levels compressed a bit to show texture.

Jonathan

EDIT: Sorry, this reply may have been a bit off topic. I thought you were talking about the blank spaces between images and not printing contiguous frames.
    Wow, fantastic. Why not post it in the Gallery.

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you mean, OP. For the benefit of my comprehension, could you describe this another way?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin