Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,677   Online: 796

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Adding colour to black & white

Today there was a small article in the Observer about this technique of painting in colour:-

http://www.visualnews.com/2012/01/18...raphs-to-life/

I can see some merit in this if there is a wish to guess what the scene may have looked like in colour, before colour was available. But would not most originals have been taken in black & white on purpose in the first place, or am I missing something?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most of the originals they show were taken on B&W because that was all that was available. Even the later ones from the depression, were in B&W because that's all the newspapers could use, and color was far to expensive and difficult to process and reproduce.
    I think it's an interesting exercise, and there's nothing wrong with doing this so long as it's not misrepresented. If a different person did this, it would be different.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

One of the ways they colorized images back then was to spray them with a type of retouching spray ( that adds tooth or grit) and then use pastels like a pastel artist. (which are like chalk sticks.)
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin