Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,544   Online: 942

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I am not wanting to mock the usefulness of university photography departments. I just want to understand what is going on with placing more emphasis on description and analysis than communication through visual imagery.

Would you think the same if you were studying Medicine or Law at university?
    Reading and study are huge components of both. And there is ample real-world experience as time goes on. Same with Visual Arts at Universities. Mine was heavy on reading but also had a lot of darkroom, legal, business and photographic work.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    A few years ago, I was sent a photography publication from a University that will remain nameless. It had a glossy cover and I think it had about 86 pages of text and contained about three images. Am I missing something here?
    I feel your pain, Luckily you didn't sign up.

3 out of 86 pages for a visual medium is pretty ...well, non visual.

But you also have to remember that there are two types of photographers (probably more) , the artsy types that are visual, and the engineer types that are far less so.

The old right brain vs left brain. The first is very visual, hates number and formulas and is drawn to the visual aspects of photography almost exclusively.

Then there is the engineer types who love the theory, formulas, loves tinkering with gadgets, and is less likely to pursue people photography.

Obviously there are crossovers.

That's the reason we have great product, architectural and scenic photographers and on the other hand we have great portrait, photojournalists and people photographers.

Again, obviously there are crossovers.

But a people photographer would be miserable setting up a food shot for two days and a architectural photographer may hate to do weddings.

C'est la vie.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Again, obviously there are crossovers.
    I don't know, I haven't seen that many crossdressers in photography.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or does he mean double-crossers??
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Since neither the contents nor the point of the publication have been revealed to us, I would hazard to guess that it was less technical and more art history/art theory or criticism than anything else.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I don't know, I haven't seen that many crossdressers in photography.
    Don't get out to California much huh?
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Susan Sontag's "On Photography" book is pretty devoid of illustration.
    Rather devoid of any significant content, too. Cohabitation with a notorious semi-papparazi does not make one an authority on photographty

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Rather devoid of any significant content, too. Cohabitation with a notorious semi-papparazi does not make one an authority on photographty
    I wonder what Thomas Chippendale would think about reading a book by someone with little knowledge of cabinet making but intellectualised the ideas about making cabinets.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Clive - under the same vein, should A.D. Coleman be stripped of his accomplishments considering he is a respected critic and has published much re photography; although, I believe, he does not photograph himself? I sense a level of disregard for educational/critical offerings in this thread? This thread is quite vague to me, it doesn't seem like from the beginning there was a deep enough 'ethical/philosophical' observation for us to discuss/debate? What are you trying to impart?
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Clive - under the same vein, should A.D. Coleman be stripped of his accomplishments considering he is a respected critic and has published much re photography; although, I believe, he does not photograph himself? I sense a level of disregard for educational/critical offerings in this thread? This thread is quite vague to me, it doesn't seem like from the beginning there was a deep enough 'ethical/philosophical' observation for us to discuss/debate? What are you trying to impart?
    I apologise for the vagueness of this thread, as I realise I am treading on dangerous ground and may upset some people with what has been said thus far. However, I just want to understand what is going on in photographic education with placing more emphasis on description and analysis than communication through visual imagery.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin