Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,335   Online: 1018

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Rather devoid of any significant content, too. Cohabitation with a notorious semi-papparazi does not make one an authority on photographty
    According to Wikipedia, "...After Sontag's death, Newsweek published an article about Leibovitz that made clear reference to her decade-plus relationship with Sontag, stating: "The two first met in the late '80s, when Leibovitz photographed her for a book jacket...."

'On Photogrpahy' was published in 1977.

Not that I would disagree with either one of your sentences (although the first one could use more context), but I do think you intended to make a connection, and history throws a wrench in this attempted connection.
    Last edited by Dan Daniel; 01-25-2012 at 07:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I expect that "On Photography" was at least part of the reason that the relationship between Sontag and Liebovitz actually ocurred.

And I have no difficulty with an un-illustrated examination of photographic issues - it makes as much sense as an examination of music that lacks sound clips.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would not be too worried about a lack of photographs in a prospectus, a lot of what you would study will be analysis of photography. It has been the background reading that has given me greater understanding of what I am trying to create. I would not judge a photography degree until I had an interview/met the course leaders and looked around the facility. I chose my MA as the interviewers were challenging in their looking through my portfolio and I felt a real passion for the art. Of course having some cracking darkroom facilities was an important factor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Rather devoid of any significant content, too.
    I certainly agree. It's a good primer in getting one acquainted with that particular area of photography B.S. though. I suspect it's a popular and common school textbook for photo or photo history students.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes, I was compelled to read it in a photojournalism class when it and the author were the latest rage. A professional author has to write about something, and Sontag chose photography, Her prominence in literary circles assured its success. The book was perhaps less about photography than about photography's effect on non-photographers. This was appropriate for its intended audience. Long ago Robert Taft did much the same in his Photography and the American Scene, which is still a valuable reference on 19th century American photography. Taft knew his subject, and even included photographs! Sontag pales in comparison.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin