Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,525   Posts: 1,572,352   Online: 1004

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Photographic Study

A few years ago, I was sent a photography publication from a University that will remain nameless. It had a glossy cover and I think it had about 86 pages of text and contained about three images. Am I missing something here?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    That is hard to say based on your sparse description. If it was supposed to be an exhibition catalogue, then yes, it was missing photographs. However, there are many essays, critiques, and books on photography that contain very few actual photographs.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    That is hard to say based on your sparse description. If it was supposed to be an exhibition catalogue, then yes, it was missing photographs. However, there are many essays, critiques, and books on photography that contain very few actual photographs.
    Allow me to expand. This was not an exhibition catalogue, but a general publication published by the photographic department.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    For what purpose? About the department in a school catalogue for recruitment? I should note that I teach photography at a university and can say that we send out several kinds of publications with varying quantities of photographs in them depending on the purpose of the publication. So without knowing the purpose of the document, I cannot comment on the validity of the publication or participate in what I can only assume is a thread wanting to mock the usefulness of university photography departments.
    Last edited by Greg Davis; 01-24-2012 at 04:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Susan Sontag's "On Photography" book is pretty devoid of illustration.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you disappointed because you actually had to read on the subject rather than just being able to look at photos.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Susan Sontag's "On Photography" book is pretty devoid of illustration.
    I noticed that.

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Are you disappointed because you actually had to read on the subject rather than just being able to look at photos.
    Yes.

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    So without knowing the purpose of the document, I cannot comment on the validity of the publication or participate in what I can only assume is a thread wanting to mock the usefulness of university photography departments.
    I am not wanting to mock the usefulness of university photography departments. I just want to understand what is going on with placing more emphasis on description and analysis than communication through visual imagery.

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    if you put together a publication for a photography department
    what would you put the emphasis on ? would you have any text?
    would it be only a certain type of imagery ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin