Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,818   Online: 705

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Darkroom Therapy

One thing I have noticed about darkroom work over the years is the relief it gives to stress. From direct experience and through talking to others, I have often thought that playing with simple imagery, such as photograms and projection printing of simple objects such as leaves, textiles etc., is very therapeutic. I am not thinking of Photographers or APUG members here, or complicated darkroom manipulations, but just simple outcomes for people who may benefit from an hour or two of darkroom therapy. You are in a low level of illumination, no pressure to produce anything special, the sound of running water, introspective manipulation of physical objects, simple outcomes. Why is this method of therapy not employed more universally?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Running water makes me want to pee.
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    One thing I have noticed about darkroom work over the years is the relief it gives to stress. From direct experience and through talking to others, I have often thought that playing with simple imagery, such as photograms and projection printing of simple objects such as leaves, textiles etc., is very therapeutic. I am not thinking of Photographers or APUG members here, or complicated darkroom manipulations, but just simple outcomes for people who may benefit from an hour or two of darkroom therapy. You are in a low level of illumination, no pressure to produce anything special, the sound of running water, introspective manipulation of physical objects, simple outcomes. Why is this method of therapy not employed more universally?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In a general sense, any creative act is therapeutic. That's why there's art therapy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Running water makes me want to pee.
    Which can be therapeutic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No running water in my darkroom now. I work with a 7 gallon container I fill in the backyard from the hose and a holding bath, wash film and prints later upstairs. It works, for now, until I can get the basement built out.

But the point is very valid, and one of the reasons I love it. It's also taken on more therapeutic value for me now than when I first started doing darkroom work in the late 70s in Jr. High and high school and into college. These days I earn my living as a network engineer, and spend much of my free time on the 'net too. Getting away from digital and computers and getting my hands wet is a valuable escape for me, and yet another reason I enjoy analog so much more than digital.

Well, ok, I stream WWOZ from New Orleans over the 'net to my iPhone to listen in the darkroom, but that and my Gralab 450 are the only intrusions of anything remotely digital!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin