Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,529   Online: 997

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Photographic Value

Many years ago I attended a lecture by a photographer who claimed that a photograph could only be rated as a good photograph by how much people were prepared to pay for it. I could not understand that viewpoint, any thoughts?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Many years ago I attended a lecture by a photographer who claimed that a photograph could only be rated as a good photograph by how much people were prepared to pay for it. I could not understand that viewpoint, any thoughts?
    Art without commerce is a hobby.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When I hear interviews with people who have been through some sort of disaster and they have to save belongings, they almost always mention family photographs. The photographs would probably be considered worthless to someone with no connection to the victim but the photographs are priceless to the person who saves them from ruin. There's more to life than monetary value.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Yeah. All those van Gogh paintings that were useless during the painters lifetime, known only by a few, were not art until people started paying for them.

To OP: That sounds like the view point of a gallery owner or art investor to me. I know lots of photographers whose work I would call fantastic art, and that I would much rather hang on my wall than many photographs I see in museums and galleries. To divide the entire art world into subcategories based on how much money it is worth is absurd.
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 01-27-2012 at 01:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format

My thoughts on the matter are avoid in future going to lectures by the mentally challenged
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A photograph can have high value long before it is sold...or even printed...or even shown to anyone.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah. All those van Gogh paintings that were useless during the painters lifetime, known only by a few, were not art until people started paying for them.

My point. Tell me I'm wrong.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't know about photographs, but I'd say his lecture was worth exactly what you paid for it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Art with commerce is not always art as the creator intended.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    And the hobbyist can create art. People have issues with these statements because 'hobby' like 'amateur' are seen, in our market obsessed world, as lower than professional and commercial.

And this:

a photographer who claimed that a photograph could only be rated as a good photograph by how much people were prepared to pay for it.
    I think shows perfectly how narrow and money obsessed values of worth have become.

You know, some people are so poor all they have is money...
    Steve.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin