Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,801   Online: 940

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    There are definitely fine lines between the acceptable and not-acceptable. I personally prefer to submit an image from a transparency scan, rather than a scan of a print - much higher quality. However, I only try to make the scan look like the original transparency.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Images
    Starting to sound like Photo.net around here.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "Acceptable" -- feh

"Recommended" -- good. With fields to describe process, and RECOMMENDATIONS that all manipulations be clearly described.

Make APUG about love (of analog) not war (against something else).

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How many people are actually doing this? Is it more than one person? Is it more than 5? Are these people new to the site? What was their reasoning?

I haven't read the entire thread so these questions may have been answered but I was just curious as to whether this was an epidemic worthy of a thread or was it just one or two people with a reason that can be dealt with personally by Sean.
    Is there anything donuts can't do.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    I'm sorry but this comparison utterly escapes me.
    Scenario A) I lug my 8x10 with 4x5 reducing back out to the beach, take a few shots, come home and hand process my film. Take a negative and scan it. Adjust contrast, etc., then post it here. Some same this is wrong, and doesnt belong on APUG.

Scenario B) Joe Blow goes out "photographing" has his 35mm in idiot mode. Takes his film to the teenage pimple face at the local drugstore, gets 4x6 prints of them. Gets home and scans the 4x6 & posts it here. Some say there is nothign wrong with doing it this way.

I think both are fine, and don't forget, there are very few minilabs that arent actually digital now. the 16 year old tech at the 1hr is just feeding your film into a machine that processes it, and then feeding it into another machine that scans adjusts and prints it.

I'm sorry if it comparison utterly escapes you.
    hi!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't have an issue with scans from prints or slides as long as the work done in PS is to overcome any shortcomings of the scanner (e.g. to make it appear on screen as it does in real life).

I have no problem with scans from negs as long as the only manipulation is the inversion and level balancing and it is made plain that this is a proof. We can't all always get into the darkroom so I would regard this as a 'necessary "evil"'. (I appreciate this is not necessarily a consistant view. Sue me! <g>)

Desaturating a colour image is (IMO) way, way over the line and, for this site, well into "extracting the Michael" territory. (Purely my opinion; free and worth every penny!)

Sean, I'd go with the gallery statement. If you start creating new galleries for every conceivable shade of grey you'll have no time for more important matters (i.e. pretty much everything!).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree that there is a fine line between acceptable and not acceptable. Desaturating a colour image is over the line from my perspective. Even more over the line is using filters like Gaussian Blur and we have a beautiful image in the standard gallery as we speak that has been filtered in PS.

My vote is for "the gallery statement" to ensure that the spirit of analog is maintained. I'm sure most postings that breach the spirit at the moment happen because the poster does not realise where that line is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I personally prefer to submit an image from a transparency scan, rather than a scan of a print - much higher quality. However, I only try to make the scan look like the original ....
    I scan from the print. Sometimes it takes so much work just to get it to match the print, it's ridiculous. I am sometimes guilty of doing some "electronic" dodging and burning, and "goosing" the contrast. That can be a 5 minute job, or several hours just by itself. Sometimes I just say to hell with it and move on.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin