Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,945   Posts: 1,585,827   Online: 985

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't know if digital prints are better than my wet stuff. What i know is that spending the night in the darkroom and seeing prints popping up from the developer are feelings matched by very few things....

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Moderator Police Force are currently wondering where to move this thread, as "Alternative Processes" is clearly not the best place for it.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I just think ** we should not throw stones when we live in a glass house** I love APUG but am old enough to know there are many ways to make a print. We cannot have it both ways here. A lot of good people are here who work both ways and this kind of thread is a thorn.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Special perhaps because they are becoming far more rare than their digital counterparts. I've been using a hybrid method for some color prints with help, because I really suck at the post-process digital stuff that seems to be required to print them, and I never really loved color printing optically... so I won't go there again.

Where to put this thread, though? Ethics and Philosophy??

Edited to add... moved it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm really bad about post-processing stuff myself. One of the BIG problems for me is that I adjust my digital file on a display where it is back-lit and self-illuminating, then print on a reflective medium such as paper. Two never looks the same even in the best of conditions. I still haven't developed a "touch" for it. Sort of a digital version of the "dry down" effect....

I like the darkroom way because it's calming. Being an IT worker, doing it digitally seem so much like work. Darkroom is a special place for me. Shut the door and it's just ME. Plus, as I said in my first response, I can make better prints that way given my ability and equipment.

It's getting rather repetitive to see this our way vs their way type thread of every kind. We don't need to prove our way is better... I don't think? I just do it "my way" and let others (and the other half of me) do "their way" and as "they" see fit.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I continue with film and darkroom for black and white because I prefer it and I am good at it. It is not a value judgement of A is better than B, but a cost benefit analysis of using the tools I already have, and 40 years of practice and experience to continue doing what I know; versus starting over learning digital printing, and acquiring the myriad of gear and software to do it. I'm 60. This is just a hobby and life's too short as it is.

Now, if I was a color printer, then I think the boat has sailed and I would be into digital printing at the very least. As it is, any color I do shoot is of the "vacation/snapshot" variety, and I think my dslr has now permanently replaced the slrs. I'm not getting rid of them yet, but I can't foresee another role of 35mm color film in my future.

As for the focus of APUG, I, like many others, came here years ago because it was the one place we could discuss our old hobby without being told we were doing it wrong. Alas, it has attracted a few zealots on both sides. This is not a new problem for the site, and apparently it's not going away.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Perhaps only two things matter: does the print resonate with you the creator, and does it resonate with a viewer.

As a creator, I find that sometimes an analogue print works best for me, but sometimes it's a digital print. I love platinum prints, but I'm not really fussed if I make them from film negatives or digital negatives - so long as the entire process from light to paper feels right for that picture. My local lab uses Ilford RC and FB silver gelatin paper to make wet chemistry prints from digital master files - and I have to say that I'm blown away by the quality of what they can produce.

As a collector, until recently I've only bought analogue prints because I haven't found digital prints that resonate with me. But I bought my first inkjet print a few days ago (a copy of a contact sheet from 6x6 negatives), and will probably buy more in the future.

So in my view it's not a question of either/or. It's a question of which works best for a particular project or picture.

Shooter
    35mm
    Being old school is now bringing a lot of interest to my prints from people who are novice collectors.

You are all under arrest.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    You are probably talking about Metro, my lab has been doing this process, even before the Ilford Harmon paper was introduced, I used Agfa Classic back in 2011.

These prints are identical in every way, except the image is exposed by a laser light beam, not a halogen light beam.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Leake View Post
    Perhaps only two things matter: does the print resonate with you the creator, and does it resonate with a viewer.

As a creator, I find that sometimes an analogue print works best for me, but sometimes it's a digital print. I love platinum prints, but I'm not really fussed if I make them from film negatives or digital negatives - so long as the entire process from light to paper feels right for that picture. My local lab uses Ilford RC and FB silver gelatin paper to make wet chemistry prints from digital master files - and I have to say that I'm blown away by the quality of what they can produce.

As a collector, until recently I've only bought analogue prints because I haven't found digital prints that resonate with me. But I bought my first inkjet print a few days ago (a copy of a contact sheet from 6x6 negatives), and will probably buy more in the future.

So in my view it's not a question of either/or. It's a question of which works best for a particular project or picture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When shown among other people's digital inkjet and walmart prints, an analog B&W print (especially a good one) really stands out. To what extent it's the medium or the photo depends on the viewer's art comprehension and background. The medium and the photo work together as part of the craft of photography. An alt process image really stands out sometimes when a silver print would be dull.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin