Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,905   Posts: 1,584,598   Online: 899

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience is the public is starting to regard traditional photography as special. Over the last 18-20 years, I've participated in over 200 art festivals. When digital first started being exhibited it was all the rage. People were buying the new technology. In the last 2-3 years, I've seen more interest in traditional prints. I've had many customers who now refuse to buy digital, preferring the one of a kind image only a darkroom can produce. I'm not the only traditional exhibitor to notice this trend, and even some of the digishooters are responding to the trend ( a few are even claiming some of their work is traditional).
    People are generally drawn to things they can't do. It's why we can be mesmerized by a 60 yard touchdown pass, a great guitar solo, or an amazing sculpture. Everyone has printed out a D print. (And, I'm not disparaging D prints. It's just very easy for many people to relate to the process, and find it less desirable.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Museums and collectors buy inkjet prints. That should tell you something.
    Often us photographers don't realize the value of two things: a name, and content. The rest is borderline trivial.

Also consider how little work is actually printed these days, perhaps signifying that ANY printed work is precious.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Museums and collectors buy inkjet prints. That should tell you something.
    Often us photographers don't realize the value of two things: a name, and content. The rest is borderline trivial.
    I couldn't agree more. Three or four years ago I overheard the outgoing curator of photography at the Getty advise budding photographers to "get their hands wet" (i.e., make gelatin silver prints), while the incoming staff was busy acquiring and buying digital works of all kinds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have been making my living with photographs or "visual media" for two and a half decades.
    Digital is great.. frees up time, gives freedom to experiment.
    Digital sucks... no opportunity cost (other than time) people think "visual media" is easy now.

I STILL can not make a print better than a silver print to hang on a wall... at least in the B+W arena.

Color wise... Cibachromes and such don't look right anymore when you can get a properly balanced digital color print made.
    IMO

Shooter
    Large Format
    maybe yes because if made right, and archival black/white print or toned or pt/pd or salt or ... will last a long time
    maybe no because a pigment print made with the right ... will last a long time

maybe no because the general public couldn't really care less .. before they got cellphone snappies they got p/s - mini lab snappies

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A quality print is a quality print, regardless of how it was made. To me what makes it precious is the effort that went into making it, the content, the framing, the expression and gesture, etc. regardless of printing medium.

I happen to enjoy creating darkroom prints myself, and really dislike making inkjet prints. But I regard them both as very fine ways to express photographic arts.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Does 'quality print' also include archivability? (did i just make up that word?)

Also, wouldn't it be interesting to do a bunch of prints that will only last 30 years or something?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Does 'quality print' also include archivability? (did i just make up that word?)

Also, wouldn't it be interesting to do a bunch of prints that will only last 30 years or something?
    Heck if I know what it means, and I'm not sure how long an RA4 or Ilfochrome print will last compared to pure pigment inkjet prints. Who knows?

Shooter
    35mm
    'Special' doesn't have to mean better or quality. I think it only makes sense subjectively and I don't think I'm alone in saying that for many of us here putting in hours of darkroom work tends to make us value our prints more than say emailing a jpg to an online printing outfit. In this sense it doesn't really matter what other people think, photography is a personal project as well as a commercial endeavour.
    Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Heck if I know what it means, and I'm not sure how long an RA4 or Ilfochrome print will last compared to pure pigment inkjet prints. Who knows?
    The only reason I bring this up is because museum curators, galleries, or collectors might be more inclined to purchase a selenium toned fiber print than a modern bw inkjet print because we know it will last. All the claims by Epson, Canon, and HP are suspicious to me. They can market it, but chances are everyone will be dead to remember.
    K.S. Klain

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin