Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,133   Online: 892

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    I'm out – I'd rather go make another shitey print.
    If you sell it then do be sure say at least 10 Hail Ansels.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I take my girlfriend (a non-photographer) to museums showing fine print that are dye-transfer, silver gelatin and other older processes. I'd look with awe and amazement at those prints. My girlfriend enjoys them, but knows little about the process behind the prints. I'd explain to her the best I can how they're made. To me they're special because of the craftsmanship involved in making these prints. She did ask me what are Giclee prints. I told there that they're inkjet prints.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I need to lurk on APUG and not get involved, Dinesh could you please bring over my blood pressure pills.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I need to lurk on APUG and not get involved, Dinesh could you please bring over my blood pressure pills.
    Can do.

I assume you'll be out front yelling at children to "get off my lawn"!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Has digital prints made older process prints special or even precious?
    not mine, i'm afraid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Don't know if it's my perception, but Has digital prints made older process prints special or even precious? Just want to know how other APUGers think.
    Pictures on paper made out of light sensitive materials are so special that I don't even call them "prints" lest they be confused with "print-outs", etchings, engravings, and the like. I say they are photographs and I say that word assertively and with pride. The long tradition of referring to paper-backed photographs as prints is a bad tradition that should be firmly put aside particularly in these times when real photography is tragically muddled with digital picture-making.

I won't single-handedly change the world but I've influenced a few people to say "photograph" instead of "print" when the medium is important and just "picture" when the medium is irrelevant. Maybe it's a doomed crusade. Maybe it's a good start.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Pictures on paper made out of light sensitive materials are so special that I don't even call them "prints" lest they be confused with "print-outs", etchings, engravings, and the like. I say they are photographs and I say that word assertively and with pride. The long tradition of referring to paper-backed photographs as prints is a bad tradition that should be firmly put aside particularly in these times when real photography is tragically muddled with digital picture-making.

I won't single-handedly change the world but I've influenced a few people to say "photograph" instead of "print" when the medium is important and just "picture" when the medium is irrelevant. Maybe it's a doomed crusade. Maybe it's a good start.
    So what are slides? Not photographs because they are projected and not usually printed?

Narrowing things down too much (and off the vernacular) is more likely to lose an audience than gain one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    LOL as usual, to some it's not a real photograph unless it is b&w printed archivally on silver.... just go about your business and be happy. And yes I did say "business"...
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    The only reason I bring this up is because museum curators, galleries, or collectors might be more inclined to purchase a selenium toned fiber print than a modern bw inkjet print because we know it will last. All the claims by Epson, Canon, and HP are suspicious to me. They can market it, but chances are everyone will be dead to remember.
    That's just it, though. Curators purchase inkjet prints just as happily as anything else.
    As with everything else, there will be purists who think chemically processed prints are the only viable way, but those that are interested in the full spectrum of what photography has to offer will purchase prints of all kinds.
    I kind of agree with the latter, or you would completely miss, from an artistic perspective, the many incredibly talented artists that print digitally, and that would be very sad.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    For B&W, I wish, I had the space necessary to make the print myself. There is just no way the digital prints can come close to the darkroom prints. Although with Epson 4900, people are getting close, but still lacks the strength you get when you look at the traditional prints.

But for color, I prefer my 4900 prints. I get to control the color exactly I want.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin