Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,248   Online: 794

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Two simple suggestions:
    1 take out some old negatives that you once printed and reprint from scratch - don't look at the original prints or notes
    2 revisit a place or subject that you haven't been to in a long time and take only one lens to come up with a different perspective

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Images
    Darinwc, I know what you mean. I've been there and back. I stopped photographing for about five years or so and came back to it. If it is of any help to you at all I've looked at the photos you have posted here on APUG and I think some of them are among the best I've seen here on APUG or anywhere. I'm thinking first of the one called "Legs" I think. I even remember the first time I saw it. I said right out loud "Wow, that is so good, so very good". There are several others as well that I think are wonderful and have wished I could do as well. I hope this helps. Sometimes all you need is for someone else to tell you what you really already know to make it all seem better. I had a good friend who did that for me once and it was a huge help. I hope I helped you.
    JOHN

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Raised standards will be part of the issue. For about a year now I have been scanning all my negatives from the time I got my first Olympus Trip camera in 1979 and I have just reached 1984. Man, was I a terrible photographer then! Obvious things like direction and quality of light, clarity of composition, appreciation of background and depth of field, vertical and horizontal tangents etc etc didn't seem very apparent to me then. I probably wouldn't press the shutter on most of the photos from that time but think of all the memories not captured and learning not achieved! Keep shooting, and don't be too tough on yourself.

On the other hand, I often think of one of my favourite quotes about photography by Robert Adams. "People photograph to keep in tact an affection for life". I find my photography is going well when all other things in my life are going pretty well and vice versa. Is it the photography which is causing some of the loss of affection or other things? If it's the photography that's causing some of the misery then worth dropping it for a while and find some affection for life in other ways. You might find that you really do "need" to keep photographing after all.
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    Multi Format

Just look at "How good you think you are"

Images
    I am definately in the "Damnit I suck" stage. I know how the OP feels.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also feel your pain -- sometimes I wonder why I even pick up a camera. When I look at my older negatives they seem better to me than what I am currently creating -- more varied and interesting compositions, better capture of light, better development, etc. Of course there were some mistakes, but I seem not to have improved on those either. In the past when I got into a bit of funk I usually tried something new -- a new camera, new film, whatever, just to spark my creativity once again. And now I've got too much stuff! Maybe Thomas is right -- simplifying things and having a real focus on what one wants to achieve is a way to push forward.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin