Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,178   Online: 766

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just a pedantic point: It's not technically theft as you still have possesion of the images. Theft is when something is taken away from you so you don't have it any more.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Just a pedantic point: It's not technically theft as you still have possesion of the images. Theft is when something is taken away from you so you don't have it any more.

Steve.
    Hey Steve, if you believe that then let me use your car for a day when you are not usiing it, or maybe your wife too..... Pedantically you will still be married.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Lointain View Post
    Hey Steve, if you believe that then let me use your car for a day when you are not usiing it, or maybe your wife too.....
    It's not the same. The equivalent would be making an identical copy of my car or a clone of my wife. If I still have the originals then they haven't been stolen.

theft is the illegal taking of another person's property without that person's permission or consent with the intent to deprive the rightful owner of it.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Lointain View Post
    Pedantically you will still be married.....
    I think that's how my wife sees our marriage too!!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    tineye didn't find any of mine online, although I know that they are spread far and wide, especially trough sites like tumblr.

Here's a photo of mine right at the top, just did a random search, there are loads of my photos in the pin-up category and such: http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/dead+barbie

I don't really mind that kind of viral sharing, especially when the signature stays intact.
    I have yet to see any commercial exploitation, if I did, I would definitely call a lawyer and get my fee + suitable compensation.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you don't want anyone to steal your work, don't put it on line, I don't.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    And therein lies the drawback of tineye. It has a tiny database of known images, certainly when compared with google image search. Search didn't fail because it requires login; google found the image based on surrounding text.
    You make a great point that we all have learned from, if one is interested in seeing if his/her image is out there, one would need to do a Google image search for the metadata and tineye for a search that looks for clones of the image based on its 1/0's

I still can't believe that G hasnt bought tineye yet?
    Andy

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Google already has the same image search function as tineye. Go to images.google.com and click on the camera symbol.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well then, I guess you answered my question as why G hasn't bought them out
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've played with TinEye a bit, and never had much luck understanding the circumstances under which it works well or poorly. I don't think it's ever found anything of mine on APUG, but it clearly crawls Flickr---yet it often fails to recognize my stuff there, as well. But when it does find a match, it's often notably successful at recognizing different treatments of the same image---different toning, sharpening, cropping, stuff like that.

Google seems to have a worse matching algorithm but a larger crawl database---it found some instances of my images being linked from sites that aggregate Flickr content, though interestingly it didn't find the originals at Flickr itself---nor, again, at APUG. (Is the gallery protected by a robots.txt file, maybe? That would explain a lot.)

In the defense of both, soft matching of image or audio content is INCREDIBLY hard. We don't understand squat about how our brains do signal processing, and transformations that hardly even register with a human observer can completely flummox a quantitative algorithm. As a professional in a related field, I'm amazed that TinEye works as well as it does and I'd love to know what goes on under the hood.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Sirius Glass: Who stole your pictures and what were they using them for?
    I only had the photograph up for 48 hours, then I checked and discovered that I had been copied over 200 times. That ended putting up any good work on APUG or any other site.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin