Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,188   Online: 879

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    127 Format
    A close friend of mine ran for City Council one time and they had a debate between about 9 candidates.

When asked where he stood on the proposed airport my friend answered, "I've always been FOR the airport.. (audience gasps) ..er, NOT being built!".

Half the people had their jaws open, the rest looked puzzled as can be.

I wish the news paper would have printed that photograph!

In the story, it only said, "All nine Council candidates oppose airport".
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think its a good thing they're upholding photographic truth to images. The PJ's know the rules, if they want to cheat then like everyone else it can be on their head and Im all for that. If they don't think they're good enough anymore without photochopping, they can quit and give someone else a go.

Just thinking, If all photo's end up being something every photographer/publisher/editor etc can manipulate, then they also won't be proof in any court anymore either... nor video. Who'd believe it if everyone's unsure? - just a thought.
    All that really matters in the end is the image, not what your using to create it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is funny, in TV "nature" documentaries, there is constant staging. And no one cares. One guy makes a pretty picture for a bird festival, and he loses his job. Seems a bit harsh for a profession (nature documentary) that has no credibility anyway.

But fortunately we have a country that is so interested in the world around them. Which is way reality TV is so popular...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, thought I'd add that that doing that same thing for nature photo's is perhaps going a touch too far. Yes I'd agree the above person, those aren't always that credible anyway.
    All that really matters in the end is the image, not what your using to create it.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Maybe it was simply a cheap way for a struggling business to cut costs (pure speculation of course). Bearing in mind how much 'news' is syndicated in the modern world, perhaps there is less and less scope for having your own staff.

And I did'nt read any quotes from the gentleman himself. Seems a little one sided to me.

MattC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have never heard in all my years, of printers getting creative and "fixing" things. Ever. Their job is not to work on images but to make sure, among other things, registration is precise, ink is set on properly etc. etc., but NOT to adjust image content.

I think the ed is blowing smoke to cover his ass.

fwiw, you should always add a disclaimer in your iptc field that no image manipulation beyond levels and curves etc., be applied to your photographs. content should not be altered , added or removed without permission. It's your ass on the line if the fan attracts you know what.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    This is true, but far more difficult. Would there be a global market for a publication that offered film only images? One that could be more depended on to reveal the truth as seen? It may have a possible potential, particularly in flashpoints like Syria.

Problem is, how do you get the images printed and published? These days most all printing is done via digital means, regardless of how the image started out. When I worked for a newspaper we were scanning color negs, that had been the process for some time and was standard practice throughout the US industry. Everyone has to take responsibility for their own relationship to these ethical issues. If you run against the policy of your employer you have to be prepared for the consequences, as this guy found out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What a strange world we live in. Every so often someone feels the need to excercise "outrage" at a photograph being manipulated, the result being that a photographer gets sacked. Yet (in my past experience) editors ORDER that an image be manipulated on a regular basis. It could be something as simple as moving the ball in a football picture to "improve" the composition.

Yet we don't hear of editors ever getting sacked for this "offence" do we? There is little doubt image manipulation will become more common, purely because it is so easy with digital. Yet every so often there will be this outburst of moral outrage. It's a bit like trying to hold back the tide of change. When something becomes so easy, then before long it becomes the "norm". Perhaps the bitter truth is that pure photojournalism is largely a thing of the past. Few editors are concerned with the ethics these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rollieman - Yo, you are in the UK, right? Not only do youse guys not speak proper English in England, your ethics are totally screwed up. In the US we tawk properly and don't allow the manipulations you might have found common place. Okay, joking about the language part but serious about the ethics, except that UK press ethics are not screwed up, they are just different in a lot of aspects. Acceptance of staging and manipulation of "news" images is absolutely highest on the list (don't get me starting on cell call and voice mail hacking!) of transatlantic differences we share.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Film could be manipulated in the same way, internegs, sandwiching, etc, just impractical in photojournalism, but theoretically possible.

Any folks who have been around longer know of any such cases of alterations when film was king? Pre2000?
    Oh, yeah, way pre-2000.

http://museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/photo...ving_pyramids/

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin