Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,692   Online: 1181

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Subliminal image technique

I have sometimes wondered if a subliminal image technique was introduced into old movies. I remember watching some Fred Astaire dancing routines and wondered if some of the optimum composition frames of the dance in motion were copied and repeated for a slightly longer duration (perhaps ½ a second) to give that wonderful graphic sense to the choreography. Perhaps I’m just being cynical, or did anybody else notice this?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hitchcock used a different framerate sometimes for effect and quite a few others.

I recently saw a docu on the great cinematographer Jack Cardiff where it mentions his use of the technique in the classic ballet "The Red Shoes"

He varied the framerate so the dancer would hover in the air for a split second longer than normal.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Hitchcock used a different framerate sometimes for effect and quite a few others.

I recently saw a docu on the great cinematographer Jack Cardiff where it mentions his use of the technique in the classic ballet "The Red Shoes"

He varied the framerate so the dancer would hover in the air for a split second longer than normal.
    I understand what you are saying, but I was talking about frame copies, as opposed to just speed frame variation.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are not watching the movie at the cinema, you are likely seeing the '2 to 3 pulldown' effect. Every fourth frame the motion seem to stop. Watch in slow motion and see. The rhythm of the dance probably lined up with the 2:3 pulldown.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    They're talking 1/2 a second though - and they could be in a PAL territory...

Yes, things like this have been done with optical/step-printers

Assuming it is there in what you remember --> well spotted
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    IIRC dance sequences were shot at differing frame rates dependent on the pace, background, and other variables. I think there is some mention of it in a Gene Kelly biography. He was a meticulous technician.

I think the definitive movie using inserted images into frames was the Exorcist. They also threw in techniques like squealing pigs in the soundtrack as well as lowering the sound and throwing out the focus slightly, just before something scary happened so you would draw in to hear and see, just before they sprang it on you, and scared the shit out of you.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hand cranked cameras in the filming also... exposure might shift slightly, but it's done
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What's the reason to think they didn't use every trick in the book as well as tricks that weren't in the book.

After all, they weren't documentary reporters making newsreels. Their job was to hook the audience.

It's like dodging and burning, but instead of being on steroids it's on steroids with a jet pack.

So it wouldn't surprise me to find that they did all of those things.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin