Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,344   Online: 1145

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post

One night, I was in the darkroom after hours and the ceramics teacher came by and said, "Are you still using film?"

Without missing a beat, I said, "Are you still making pots out of clay?"...

Great answer!!
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I say a 'phone or digital camera can make pictures but those pictures aren't really photographs, haven't got the same relationship to subject matter as photographs, and don't deliver a photographic quality viewing experience to me. If I want an authentic photograph, not a virtual one, then nothing touched by data-based technology is worth looking at.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The answer I would give is that film has physical integrity. It is not a lot of numbers waiting for arrangement, but a physical capture of the image. In short it has the here, right now, zen existance.
    Last edited by cliveh; 02-11-2012 at 06:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I might say something like, "Oh, I have many tools at my disposal and film cameras do some things much better than my cell phone. When I am seriously interested in creating images, my choice is film because of its ability to give me the results I find most pleasing. I also enjoy the processes involved in producing my images with a film camera."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I say a 'phone or digital camera can make pictures but those pictures aren't really photographs, haven't got the same relationship to subject matter as photographs, and don't deliver a photographic quality viewing experience to me. If I want an authentic photograph, not a virtual one, then nothing touched by data-based technology is worth looking at.
    i don't know exactly what you mean ...
    a sensor isn't light sensitive, an image isn't drawn with light ?
    having a cellphone image light jet printed
    through a sophisticated enlarger head
    onto light sensitive paper and souped in chemistry
    at a mini lab isn't drawn with light ?

its like suggesting slides aren't authentic ...

i don't think authenticity has much to do with it ...
    it is just a different technology ... one isn't more authentic or photographic than the other ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i don't know exactly what you mean ...
    a sensor isn't light sensitive, an image isn't drawn with light ?
    having a cellphone image light jet printed
    through a sophisticated enlarger head
    onto light sensitive paper and souped in chemistry
    at a mini lab isn't drawn with light ?

its like suggesting slides aren't authentic ...

i don't think authenticity has much to do with it ...
    it is just a different technology ... one isn't more authentic or photographic than the other ..
    +1

This isn't a question of right or wrong, good or evil, etc. It's about using the medium that helps you do what you want to do.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think we get way too caught up in technicality of producing photographs. Photography happens about 6 inches behind the camera (of any kind)....

Well... 8 inches if you have a big head.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Smile and Nod.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think I have had anyone say they thought film was "pointless", but I certainly have had questions from those who are curious.

My response depends on a number of factors.

In many cases, the question comes from someone who has used film in the past. For those people, I respond by indicating how much I enjoy using film. In addition, I mention that I still do my own black and white darkroom work, that film and processing is (relatively) readily available in my area, and that modern films are really wonderful in comparison to films from even 25 years ago.

Also, if someone notices what I am doing, it is fairly likely that I'll be using medium format equipment. Many former film users still recognise the larger medium format equipment as being in some way "special", and therefore it seems to be easier to explain why I use it.

And for those that have never shot film, I think the combination of the "unusual" equipment I use, my enthusiasm about the subject, and my phrase "I've been using and enjoying film for 40+ years, why should I change now" helps convince them that I have good reasons for the choice.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tell them that Kodak's film sector increased by 20% last year. And who wouldn't prefer a home cooked meal to McDondalds?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin