Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,020   Online: 841

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie_like_the_chan View Post
    I know that this has probably been brought up a couple times. I'm taking a photography class and I'm really enjoying it, I love the atmosphere and I love enlarging and everything about it. Unfortunately, every time I'm asked what I study or what I'm doing and I answer, I almost always get the same response...
    "Really? I didn't know they made film anymore! What is the point when you can just use your phone? It just seems so pointless now..."
    This normally sets me back. What do I say? I normally just say its an art form and leave it at that, but I always feel a little deflated. My question to everybody though, is what do you say? Does everybody answer this way?
    Why do we love those we love?
    Why do we love the art we love?
    Why do we read the books we love to read?
    The movies?
    The food?

Why do we love photography?
    Why do we love film?

I guess we just do, is all! We don't need to justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    Why do we love those we love?
    Why do we love the art we love?
    Why do we read the books we love to read?
    The movies?
    The food?

Why do we love photography?
    Why do we love film?

I guess we just do, is all! We don't need to justify it.
    With the internet now so prevalent it's comforting to know that no matter what any idiot asks us we can simply say "GOOGLE IT" and walk away.

No need for long winded explanations, great pontificating, or explaining to glazed over eyes, we now have a perfect outlet/scapegoat to pass our detractors or time wasters to.

Naturally they won't "get it" by googling it, but they wouldn't get it, if we explained it until we were blue in the face either.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    With the internet now so prevalent it's comforting to know that no matter what any idiot asks us we can simply say "GOOGLE IT" and walk away...
    Brilliant, sir. Brilliant.
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100/FM2n | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie_like_the_chan View Post
    "Really? I didn't know they made film anymore! What is the point when you can just use your phone? It just seems so pointless now..."
    "Really? Does that mean you eat frozen dinners every night? What's the point of cooking when you can just use your microwave?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps this will be a good universal answer: "Why do I like using film? Well, let me ask you this, if you could choose to drive your date to the prom in a 1957 Chevy or a 2012 Honda, which would you pick? If you could go hunting with an AK 47 or a Thomson Center Hawken Rifle, which would you choose?"

And so on. Pick something the person asking can relate to -- classic cars, classic homes, classic whatever -- anything you know that person will select the more classic instead of the newer but more utilitarian product -- then you can say "Well, I use film for the same reasons. It's a bit more involved but it is more satisfying, it involves me more as an artist, and it produces something that reflect more what I am and what I put into the work."

And if they still say "that's stupid," then just shrug, give up and go on taking pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As a matter of fact, I ask people whether they would rather sit down to a home cooked meal or eat a frozen dinner from the microwave.

When you cook your own meal on the stove, you get to choose your own ingredients, use whatever spices you want, and cook it the way you want it. When you eat a frozen dinner, you get a quick, convenient meal but you have to eat what comes out of the package and you have few choices.

Sure, there are times when I'm hungry or I don't have time to cook and I just want to eat something quickly but you can bet that I'd rather sit down to a well-cooked turkey dinner with all the trimmings if I had the choice.

Sure, it takes longer and it's extra work but it's worth it.

Just because you bought a microwave oven, that's no reason to throw your stove away. Is it?

Yes, there are times when I just want a quick picture. In that case, a digi-snap is fine but there are also times when I would rather have a nice "home cooked" photograph.

Just because I bought a digicam, that doesn't mean I have to throw my darkroom away.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin