Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,343   Online: 843

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Film Photography in Year 2020

Greating,

While my photography may be in a paused state as I have become very involved as a care taker for my Mother and Father (saps the creativity right out of you), I have been thinking about what film photography will be like in the year 2020.

Taking a long view many things in analog photography seem to change slowly. Film progressively got better, chemistry and processes did too and many original processes are still alive today. For years competition drove faster, more technically driven hardware... Camers, lenses, mini labs, automated custom service labs and more.

So I would like to hear what others see in their crystal balls as to what analog photography will be like in the future. 2020 is only 8 years away but in today's technology driven world, that is almost a life time.

Looking forward to your posts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My somewhat foggy crystal ball sees traditional silver based photography becoming more of an alternative process practiced by fewer people than today. I will be one of those.

I recently watched a video about Keith Carter, part of which had him talking about his doing a series of portraits of his mother when she was in the final stages of her life when she really didn't know who he was and how important that process was for both him and his siblings. It got me to thinking about my almost 95 year-old Godmother for whom my wife and I have important care giving responsibilities.

You might enjoy the video. Here is a utube snippit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4vm5P8-N0o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It will become more rare, an art form, much more special than it ever was.
    In that respect, I believe that traditional silver prints will be a sought after commodity and probably high-priced items on exhibitions for example.

My impression of the photographic world (and art in genera) is that anything rare/special is higher priced than some mass-produced/easily reproducible item.

As long as materials for photography, development and printing is provided, analog will only be more and more appreciated and popular for buyers....in my opinion. =)
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ohh boy, this thread is going to be a cracker. Let me get some pop corn, sit back and watch....

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ilford hangs on as the only b&w film/chemistry/paper maker. Kodak? Gone. Company making film formerly know as Kodak? Maybe. Fuji? Rules as maker of paper and dry process print lines. Fujifilm? ISO160+400 C41 maybe.
    Red Epic and progeny rule cine imaging.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Ilford hangs on as the only b&w film/chemistry/paper maker.
    Really, you think Foma, Efke, and Adox are all going to curl up and die within eight years? Geez, I think you turned your pessimism generator up too high this morning.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can understand your dilemma. My Mother is 97 and Father in Law 96. Takes a lot of time! I still try to do my photography and get in the darkroom as often as I can.
    I think a couple of companies, say Ilford and one or more of the others Nathan mentioned will keep making film and paper, so long as enough of us use it. I do some digital, but just don't get the same thrill as working in the darkroom.
    I hope film keeps going as I will be very disappointed otherwise.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I doubt it will be much different from what it is now. The big change was from 2000 to 2010 and that change was a dramatic reduction in the price of used gear. Other than that, for me its not much different than 1980. I had to go to a pro shop (same one I use now) for all my film as you could not get 120 B&W or 100ft 35mm anywhere else back then same as now. The main change since 1980 for me has been that I make more money and cameras and equipment are dirt cheap. Because of that I shoot more film now than ever before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    its going to be like 1890 all over again.
    fun times making and using papers and films and plates
    while surveillance cameras are installed every 3 feet
    documenting our setting up, exposing, taking down ..
    it is going to be a very surreal experience ...
    just make sure you have a a bowler hat!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In 8 years, increasing solar flares will render all digital sensors inoperable. The world-wide desire for images will make those with knowledge of film/darkroom techniques highly sought after. Those people will be extremely well compensated for their efforts, and the parking lot at annual APUG gatherings will be filled with Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches, and Rolls-Royces.
    Well, maybe not 8 years, but soon thereafter...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin