Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,315   Online: 955

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A tree is a tree is a tree. A photo of a tree can be whatever the viewer wants it to be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    What you call a flawless photograph by chance may in fact be a photograph made by a person that has worked through all the contemplation previously in his life and can now step up to the plate and make great photographs almost immediately.

The contemplation stage may in fact be sort of an amateur or learning process in the art of seeing, where a master may see it at a glance.

Moonrise over Hernandez was mentioned here and it is a great example of a master taking a photograph by seeing potential. The basic print is pretty mundane, but Adams saw the potential and the elements that he could enhance and turned into a work of art.
    That is exactly what I originally wrote in my much longer post, which I edited out to make my point more concise. (Ya, I'm an optimist.. )

Hernandez is far more than just serendipity of being at the right place at the right time, and it is more than just realizing the potential in a negative. Adams was simply very well prepared to take advantage of the opportunity. I would bet dollars to donuts that many an aspiring photographer has tried to re-capture the magic of that moment. Some will have gotten wonderful photographs, some true art, and some merely snapshots. Contemplation today can lead to understandings that may influence your work many years down the road.

Clive has posed a very large question here. (It's one of his talents) There are a lot of books on the art of seeing, pre-visualization, photographic contemplation, etc. Some agree, and some disagree... (like here on our much-loved APUG) Good things to think about as we sort through our gear on the way to a photo outing... Which I'm doing right... now.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i think it all depends ..
    some people work better after contemplating
    or studying, or having a deeper understanding of something
    it is like making a portrait of an old friend or family member
    as opposed to a stranger ...

some people work better by letting whatever it is they are photographing
    hit them all at once.
    I was going to say this, only I was going to use more words and not be as clear. So, um, yeah, what he said.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    A tree is a tree is a tree. A photo of a tree can be whatever the viewer wants it to be.
    +1

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    And a tree can be whatever the viewer wants it to be.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    You think long you think wrong.
    You over analyze you paralyze.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've nothing to offer the OP.

But this might be a good time to mention that Mitch Epstein just did a project on trees, showing later in NYC and excerpted in the New York Times Magazine and discussed here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/ma...ee-a-tree.html

and here:

http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-tree-stalker/

8x10 b/w film, probably digital output. I generally am a fan of his work, but I can't say I am crazy about this group of images.

Anyway, some interesting talk in these links about photographing trees.
    Last edited by billbretz; 02-14-2012 at 09:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    "If a man knew enough he could write a whole book about the juniper tree. Not juniper trees in general but that one particular juniper tree which grows from a ledge of naked sandstone near the old entrance to Arches National Monument."

- Ed Abbey
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    If you contemplate a tree for some time and be entranced by it, will you take a more meaningful photograph of that tree as opposed to if you just turn up and photograph it?
    You turn up in a war and contemplate it for some time and be entranced by it, will you take a more meaningful photograph of that war as opposed to if you just turn up and photograph it?

The answer is time has nothing to do with it. Neither whether you are entranced by it as well--those are personal feelings and just having them does not give them to the image and turning those feelings into concepts does not help.

It simply comes down to whether the photograph is good or not. How you get there does not, to use a popular term, "inform" the image.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    "If a man knew enough he could write a whole book about the juniper tree. Not juniper trees in general but that one particular juniper tree which grows from a ledge of naked sandstone near the old entrance to Arches National Monument."

- Ed Abbey
    I know, writers say the darnedest things. Unfortunately for photographers, they have to be grounded in reality.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin