Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,986   Online: 977

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Tree contemplation

If you contemplate a tree for some time and be entranced by it, will you take a more meaningful photograph of that tree as opposed to if you just turn up and photograph it?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love the way you keep tossing these pebbles into the APUG pond and watching the ripples as they flow out. Are you a fisherman?

OK, so your question begs the obvious rider, "what is meaningful?" As I see it, meaning is an internal emotional and (sometimes) intellectual response to a stimulus of some kind. In this case, then, I'd say no, there's no such thing as a "meaningful" photograph. Meaning is attached to the photograph only by the person viewing it. Your contemplating the tree may well inspire you to take extra care in composing your shot and therefore give you more satisfaction, but "satisfaction" isn't the same as "meaning."

I'm trying to rein in my garrulousness , so that'll do for me.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What do you mean by..........."meaningful"?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yes
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes definitely. I mean, what's the alternative? Become a roving security camera?
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    OK, by meaningful, I mean a picture which has presence, that more people can relate to.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Do your contemplation on the GGS, then show us the images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lesm View Post
    I love the way you keep tossing these pebbles into the APUG pond and watching the ripples as they flow out. Are you a fisherman?
    I agree. cliveh asks so many questions that I wonder what he does with the answers. Does he covet them to inform and enhance his personal photographic work? Is he a teacher who unselfishly shares the wisdom of many with his students? Is there a intellectual treatise in the offing; a book perhaps? Is he polling photographic opinion to discover who agrees with his secret agenda?

The cliveh threads are a treasure trove of accumulated APUG though and if he were to offer a synopsis of his discoveries that would be a valuable contribution to photographic scholarship.

As for trees, they are the same as any other subject matter: visual metaphors for abstract ideas. A broken tree stands for dissolution and change, a straight one for strength and assertiveness, a bent and weathered one for resilience in the face of adversity; and so it goes.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    well, maybe, it's possible to over analyze it, presence or relatability, IMO, is in the eye of the viewer

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CPorter View Post
    well, maybe, it's possible to over analyze it, presence or relatability, IMO, is in the eye of the viewer
    IMO, analyzing is the opposite of contemplation.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin