Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,931   Posts: 1,585,452   Online: 1064

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Film Formats

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've often wondered whether a 4/3 version of 135 (24mm x 32mm) would have been a success - I like its equivalent on 120 (4.5 x 6cm) as well as 6x7.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    11x11
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I often had the impression that the formats 24x36mm and 6x9cm were chosen because they put a really big image on an otherwise restricted format. Sure there are panorama cameras that put greater images on the film, but these two formats strike me as stretches to maximize the possibilities.

Shooter
    Large Format
    i am fond of 15x7 ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love circles. Of course the original Kodak made circular pictures and a few photographers have made it part of their work, like Emmet Gowen. Tough to compose in a circle, interesting challenge. These days I like 2:3 (6x9) a lot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have often found that I prefer the 2:3 format as opposed to the 4:5 ratio, but have found myself framing to 4:5 because of the standard paper stocks. Of late I have found myself leaning back towards 2:3 AND 1:1

So, do I have a preference? No!

(BTW, I always crop - always. I tend to shoot a bit wider then what I intend for the final print if I can.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like 2:3 for 35mm, square for 120 and 4:5 for 4"x5" [uh, like DUH] myself.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Before digital, most of what I shot was either 35mm SLR 3:2 or 6x7 medium format. With 35mm of course you'd order prints unless you were shooting chromes for slide show. So then the print crop became 3 1/2x5", 4x6", 5x7", 8x10" or some other variant to match standard paper sizes. I printed my 6x7mm on 16x20". So none of the print formats match the film sizes except 4x6" for 35mm. It's like the paper and film manufacturers live in different worlds. Now add to that 4:3 computer screens, 16:9 HDTV screens and a person can really go nuts.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I really love 35mm pictures printed uncropped on 5x7 paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For the most part of the previous year, I have been printing the full 35mm or 6x6 frame. Composing inside of the viewfinder rather than cropping and I am very comfortable with it now. Its easier to get the shot you want first and not worrying with playing around with so many cropping combinations in the darkroom. So I have left it as that, right to the edge. Clean, simple, and unadulterated besides slight dodge and burns.

Its a nice format inherently, I just hate the paper formats. So much waste could be saved if paper formats aligned well with negatives.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin