Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,232   Online: 857

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Film Formats

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    I really love 35mm pictures printed uncropped on 5x7 paper.
    By definition, 35mm pictures must be cropped when printed onto 5 x 7 paper.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    By definition, 35mm pictures must be cropped when printed onto 5 x 7 paper.
    i print big borders, which are no equal on all sides

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Square is great! Other than that I enjoy 1x1.3 (6x4.5) and 1x1.25 (4x5) ratios. The 1x1.5 of 35mm or 6x9 is just too long for me.

Shooter
    35mm
    I quite like the 2:3 ratio of 135 and 6x9 but i also love square format.
    I usually compose in the finder and rarely crop.
    Square composition is sometimes tricky but it can be nice too.

As mentioned, the Golden Mean is probably a format that easily "acceptable" to the human mind. Sort of a primal thing. But perhaps for more impact another format would draw attention because of it's "discomfort" level.

Personally I crop everything, shot mostly Hasselblad square but never printed square, and still shoot for a little "coverage" of what I'm seeing on a full frame digital sensor. Used to print 16x20 but now more 16x24.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Almost all my rectangular pictures are cropped to 3:4 ratio, so I always crop my 35mm negatives, for example.
    It fits so perfectly on 8x10 (6x8), 11x14 (9x12), and almost 16x20 (13.5x18).

Or square.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Almost all my rectangular pictures are cropped to 3:4 ratio, so I always crop my 35mm negatives, for example.
    It fits so perfectly on 8x10 (6x8), 11x14 (9x12), and almost 16x20 (13.5x18).

Or square.
    Thomas, doesn't that mean you are letting the paper size dictate the composition?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    i print big borders, which are no equal on all sides
    I see, and now I understand that would work uncropped.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting question really. I've realized for some time that I tend to prefer more squarish and less rectangular ratios than most people. I find wide screen TVs and computer monitors too wide - whether this is something in the way I see or just my aversion to change and the fact I'm used to the more traditional rectangle I don't know.

I do like 4x5"ish" proportions and sometimes, but less often, the 35mm ratio. Anything wider than that strikes me (usually) as contrived and too "stretched." You can try to get the impact of a big outdoor scene for example with a wide panoramic ratio, but it seems to me you're just cutting off the sky and/or ground to do it, and that's often not worth the trade. Really wide screen movies look to me like I'm viewing the action through a slit window.

Since getting my TLR I've found I often enjoy the square format. I happily print square or crop in any ratio that suits me. I'm not averse in the slightest to cropping. Scenes don't come in pre-packaged ratios. If a crop lets me eliminate a distracting element or otherwise make a more pleasing composition, I'll crop away.

The comments about circles are interesting. I've seen (recently I think - a link here?) some circular images I thought were incredibly good. It would be hard to visualize that at the time of shooting with my 35mm, but an overlay for the TLR might be possible and very easy for the 4x5. I have thought of making a 4" circular mask for the ground glass, and shoot some negatives intending to print that way. But how would I get a circular easel?? I guess I look for a smooth, evenly cut circular mask of some kind, which may not be easy to find or make.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    But how would I get a circular easel?? I guess I look for a smooth, evenly cut circular mask of some kind, which may not be easy to find or make.
    if you aren't using a lens that doesn't cover the format
    you would take a pice of matboard, and cut a circle into it
    it just has to be thicker than single ply ...

(alto and other companies sell a circular cutter for cutting mats that aren't square
    or you can use a vignetter, or a disk, or pin tin bottom or a ... as a template to make your cut .. )

i have a set of vignettes that i bought from a prized apug seller that i plan on
    using for this very purpose ...
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin