Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,489   Online: 957

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Film Formats

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    How about a vacuum easel, Roger?

What renewed my interest in circles, recently, was the thought of spin coating glass disks with emulsion. The mundane reason for circles being that you get a more uniform distribution of material that way.

I've done some LF circles using RB lenses, e.g. with the fisheye. Quite interesting look, but I didn't go anywhere with it. Reminded me too much of trendy skateboarder photography atg the time. And then I imagined portraits looking like those portrait cameo things, ugh.

I think that if and when I do shoot more circles I will let the image circle define the edges, as opposed to a sharper edge. There's something appealing about calling the resulting photographs "image circles" and knowing that it's the full image that came through the lens.
    Last edited by keithwms; 02-15-2012 at 06:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a variable "vignetter" that I don't think I've ever used, but the edges are going to be like those of an iris diaphragm if printed sharply. It's made to keep in motion as in dodging. For sharp circular borders, I was just thinking it would be hard to get a really sharp, really circular cut. But maybe not - was just thinking out loud and hadn't really looked in to it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think square is my favorite for manmade things and people. For landscape I tend to favor wider, with 4x5 being a very nice compromise, and 6x17 being right for somethings.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rarely crop. Fit the negative to whatever print size I choose to use. I try to compose in some kind of balanced 3rds regardless of the film ratio.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wonder what people think of my pet theory that rectangles seem to correspond to dynamic compositions (implied movement and/or imbalance, sense of passing time) whereas squares tend to convey static scenes... often literally timeless and balanced compositions. Clive?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Many of my square format images have a circular motion to them -- not static.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Certainly there are many exceptions, and individual compositional styles vary, but I'd like to point out that squares are often associated with more balanced, statuesque, timeless compositions. I am painting with a very broad brush, of course.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I shoot most of my photos at 6x7. However, my favorite format is 616. That's 2 1/2" x 4 1/4". I like it because it's just a little different. I print the proofs at 4"x7". It's great for a landscape, full length portrait, or a large group shot.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    The comments about circles are interesting. I've seen (recently I think - a link here?) some circular images I thought were incredibly good.
    I saw them too! Think they were in a blurb "book", or maybe the latest View Camera magazine I flipped through last week? Can't find them now. They were beautiful.

--

I feel like the horizontal wide format is being thrust upon us by monitors and TV's.

Vertical shots just don't look good on electronics (merely because they get shrunk to fit so they become "tiny" in comparison). So if verticals were rare before... I am sure they are even more rare today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I saw them too! Think they were in a blurb "book", or maybe the latest View Camera magazine I flipped through last week? Can't find them now. They were beautiful.

--

I feel like the horizontal wide format is being thrust upon us by monitors and TV's.

Vertical shots just don't look good on electronics (merely because they get shrunk to fit so they become "tiny" in comparison). So if verticals were rare before... I am sure they are even more rare today.
    There used to be monitors made mainly for desktop publishing (remember that?) that swiveled to vertical orientation or horizontal, as desired, along with video drivers that adjusted to suit. I haven't seen even a photo of one in years. Seems like a good idea for some things, like editing vertically formatted images.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin