Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,974   Online: 802

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My best wishes to you and your family. I also say your negatives are a priority and cameras if time and space allow.
    Good luck and be safe.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ammons--good choice. One of my favorites as well.

Take your best prints, too. At least a portfolio or archive box. Even if you have negs, they can be hard if not impossible to replace, particularly if they are on discontinued paper.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We've evacuated for wildfires twice in the twelve years we've lived in this house (the Cedar Fire in 2003, which burned right to our back fence, and the Witch Creek Fire in 2007, which ultimately didn't come very close to us). Because of all the animals (we were running a boarding stable at the time, and in 2003 we still had a *lot* of reptiles) there was never much time to pack anything else. Negatives, an external drive with most of our important stuff backed up, legal documents, and a couple of instruments. But at the end of the day the only really indispensable things are lives.

Good luck and be careful. They do not make events much more scary than a big wildfire.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John:

My thoughts are with you.

Is there anyone who can ship any of the other stuff to a safer location?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the good wishes - Don't worry about the dogs - They have got the situation well sorted on their own - When the smoke was very thick early Monday evening they went into the rear seat of the ute, Grub, Zeke and our neighbours dog Ruby - The three of them sitting there with a unified expression of "We are ready, now drive!!!" - Not even the usual dog bickering about who sits where

Yes, legal docs first, then negs then a small bag of books, then the cameras that are needed for my planned portfolios

The good news is that with one exception the fire is now staying within the planned containment line and the wind is easterly, which should take it along the unpopulated coastal strip if it does break containment - There are no strong winds forecast for a few days - But we remain prepared and the dogs are here, keeping them out of the car is the difficult bit, on the canine mindset that cars = beaches

What this has done is to focus my mind on what I will actually use for the rest of my life, so the classified for sale section of APUG will get a good deal of equipment offered at very low prices to photographers who will use it - Anyone looking for a 250mm Rodenstock Imagon with all the fruit?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is sad to hear, I really hope the situation gets under control and the fires do not continue to spread. Your plans seems well thought out and solid. I would also add that if you cant take your most important prints, is to jot down, or even quicker use a digital camera to photograph the print and photograph the printing notes to be able to reproduce the print again. Good Luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bury the Hasselblads and the Rollei. Two feet down in the soil a hot fire will pass over the top with virtually no temperature rise at all. Actually while you are at it bury anything else you want to save but not carry.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Reminds me of the sad story of Olegas Truchanas losing his photos in the Hobart fire in 1967. Grab the negs.

Thoughts are with you, John.

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Reminds me of the sad story of Olegas Truchanas losing his photos in the Hobart fire in 1967. Grab the negs.

Thoughts are with you, John.
    Even sadder, Peter Dombrovkis burning 400 images in the hearth in a fit of depression...
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin