Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,708   Online: 799

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries

Evacuation, what to take

Currently there is a fire 40Km south of here in the Southern Forest Region of WA - We have already put my daughter's evacuation plan into practice as the fire is 8Km from her place - The wind is still, but if the wind increases we are phuqed - Her dog is here and farting

We have packed everything important - Legal document and the negs first, followed by the Linhof kit, the two 10x8" kits followed by the WA and Tele Rolleis and a bag of Nikon Fs and lenses - Books, A R Ammons, Kenneth White, the first Wynn Bullock monograph, Minimata, the I Ching and the Tao Te Ching - From the darkroom a litre of my 27 year old D76d as seed for a new batch in case the worst happens

To be abandoned to the fire are my former commercial studio Hasselblads, my Rollei 2.8F, Bowens flash kits and my enlarger bodies - The 10x8" De Vere would be the only one not replaceable, 'though the loss of the three Focomats would be a bit sad

This is an interesting exercise in selection

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't forget to pack some film.
    Best of luck from snowy Ottawa, Canada.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Throw the Hasselblads at the fire. That will put it out.

Seriously: good luck, I've been in that position. It was scary but also exciting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have friends at Cowaramup outside Margie River in WA who recently had a huge task of selection given the size of their family when they were ordered to evacuate a few months back when fires flares left and right down near the bay — where other members of their family were and who lost their home. Their priorities were not cameras, but themselves, the dogs, two horses and very essential valuables. They left for 48 hours before returning with the all clear. Most sensible people would consider only their most valuable assets, be stuffed with cameras if it's an emergency. Cameras and the like can be replaced, but a lost life is lost.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Man, that's scary. I'm not sure what I would do in your situation. I wish you guys good luck.

On a lighter note, mail me the Rollei. I'll keep an eye on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very scary, but negatives would be impossible to replace, and sounds like you have those, so take care, and best wishes that you get through it all without any loss.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Best of Luck!!! Hope it gets under control before it gets to you...

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yeah, tough -- i'd grab the leicas and (bad word) the rest -- ok, maybe the really good rolleis too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you get some stuff off site to a safe place before any necessary evacuation? Take the negs for sure. Not so certain about grabbing some film... that is a lot easier to replace than a treasured camera.

Best of luck.

Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The smoke from the fires down south blanketing Perth is huge, so I can only imagine what you are going through. My husband's a firefighter here in WA.
    Our evacuation list (starting from the top depending on time available)...
    1) The Family (incl dog)
    2) small box of most important deeds/documents from the fireproof safe
    3) laptop/computer/external harddrive if you have a paperless office
    4) iPhone with most recent snaps of all your rooms
    5) negatives
    The rest is replacable stuff one way or another.
    John, my thoughts are with you and your loved ones.
    (Sent you an email as well).
    Last edited by Nicole; 02-14-2012 at 08:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin