Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,865   Online: 922

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Magic and Time Machine

May I drop this question into the APUG pond? Is the photographic process the nearest we get to magic? And Is a camera the nearest thing we get to a time machine?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As you can see in my signature that you can stop time with a camera ;-)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think there is some truth there.

Love this one:
    “The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.”
    Dorothea Lange
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    I think there is some truth there.

Love this one:
    “The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.”
    Dorothea Lange
    In my book, Dorothea Lange is in the top 10 photographers of all time. She had an intuitive sense of composition.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    May I drop this question into the APUG pond? Is the photographic process the nearest we get to magic? And Is a camera the nearest thing we get to a time machine?
    Absolutely on both counts.

I've always considered photography a magical process (including digital especially with photoshop) and have always stated that photography is the only thing we have that can stop time.

Nothing we have in life, outside the miracle of birth, is more of a magical process than photography.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Allow me to protrude the placid surface of your pond... I would argue that holography is perhaps more "magical" than photography.

It captures an object in 3 dimensions, without a camera and stops time.

In its silver halide emulsion it records phase differences, as opposed to mere amplitude differences.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Much new technology would seem like magic to older generations. Consider computers. When I started a career in electronics, the slide rule was the most commonly used computer. For some calculations we used math tables. In the 1950s I helped maintain a computer that had one transister and thousands of vacuum tubes. The clock rate was 100kHz and its memory was almost nonexistant. It never occured to me that I would ever see personal computers, let alone the handheld electronic devices of today. As a boy I built radios that let me eavesdrop on the World. To talk to neighbors we used a wall mounted party line telephone. Now we have cell phones. The Mount Palomar telescope was one of the marvels of the time. Now we have telescopes in space. Space travel had been a subect for fantasies for a few hundred years, but most people probably didn't see any reason for it to be developed. Organ transplants were unheard of except for Doctor Brinkley in Kansas. I grew up on a farm with little powered machinery. My parents were born before powered flight and practical automobiles. Photography is merely a technical advance in the visual arts like the word processor and print-on-demand are to literature.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think flying is more magical than a photographic image. Then computers (and their networks) are more magic than a photo image; immense information moving around the world at the speed of light for very little cost is pure magic.

A camera is definitely a time machine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Much new technology would seem like magic to older generations...
    +1

Very well put.

X. Phot.
    No, photography is not magic, and a camera is not a time machine. But should these hallucinations continue, I would suggest that a friend help you check into a local Rehab clinic . . . or find a new supplier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin