Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,018   Online: 687

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Those who obsess about proper spelling are quite often of such small minds that they cannot deal with anything else of substance.
    [/I]
    And in the spirit of debate that has characterised this thread, please name your documented sources for this statement including medical reports, clinical trials and the qualifications and CV's of all of the authoritative medical and psychological experts you no doubt relied upon when making the above statement.
    Leica M6,
    Bessa R4A,
    Rolleiflex(s) 2.8/80, 4/135, 4/55.
    Nikkormat FTn
    Fuji X10

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Chambers View Post
    Not to forget Julia Margaret Cameron's concept of focus, which Dodgson criticised.
    Yet despite that criticism she actually sold photographs for money, indicating some degree of success.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Yet despite that criticism she actually sold photographs for money, indicating some degree of success.
    "alleged" criticism, I should have said.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "presumably" sold for money Io should have said.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "perceived" success I should have said.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Perhaps she did but the family didn't really need the money and I doubt that she was really interested in making any income from photography other than the novelty of it.

Her photographic career only lasted about eleven years whilst she lived here on the Isle of Wight. I think it reduced significantly when the family moved back to India (Ceylon) around 1875.

EDIT: All of this reminds me that Dimbola Lodge has free entry for the whole of February - so I will be going this weekend!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Perhaps she did but the family didn't really need the money and I doubt that she was really interested in making any income from photography other than the novelty of it.
    Not needing money has never kept anyone from wanting to make a little more.

Whether she was interested or not is surely open to speculation. I'd speculate that for whatever reason she may have gotten into the selling aspect... the fact remains that for some period of her life she actively sought out and worked with a gallery to sell prints, and they sold.

I've often envied her because I suspect, like you do, that she engaged in photography purely for fun and had all of her other worldly needs sufficiently taken care of.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. enjoy Dimbola Lodge. i'd join you if that were possible, but alas... I cannot.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Those who obsess about proper spelling are quite often of such small minds that they cannot deal with anything else of substance.

Nothing personal, I'm jest sayin'
    OK, I obsess, but in this case the spelling obsession was to confirm the spelling of a proper name - That being done the "fuddy duddy" bit I took as a joke

Also, and crucial to my posts is that I always claim, and where I have not I apologise, that my views on the work of Henson are my personal opinion based on seeing his works, I have said very little on the 2008ish portraits apart from saying, I think, that I found them verging on the innocent, I can say no more on these pix as I have never seen real prints

If I state that opinions on photographer's images are my own and not claimed as absolute I feel that is OK, but will take other views into consideration

Perhaps I should have taken my page one advice on this thread, but I am glad to see this thread running as it is a damned sight more interesting than Leitz vs Nikon arguments - I pick on that one as I started it

John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Fascinating and educating thread. Somehow it had passed me by, but I had never really taken much notice of Lewis Carroll or the Alice stories, other than I am aware of them of course. I did not know he was a photographer. The other angles are interesting, but I believe we cannot moralise on victorian values from a 21st century perspective.

I had a very interesting conversation recently with a foreign agent for the equipment I sell. I won't name the place - it is irrelevant - but he told me it is (little known outside the country) but customary for the ruler to have the services of different young girls from different "tribes" on a monthly basis. If the young girl becomes pregnant it is looked on with great delight, as it brings royal blood to the tribe (and helps the gene-pool which is otherwise constrained within the tribe). If she fails to become pregnant she leaves with presents. Either way, being the "chosen one" is looked on with pride.

The point is morals are different from place to place and from time to time. Who are we to judge.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin