Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,563   Posts: 1,545,300   Online: 795

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably not... he would likely just be considered a "creepy single guy who likes hanging around with and photographing little girls".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Yes, in the time of Poe, Carroll and many of the others, if the girl's parents consented, it was considered above-board.

The real Alice's parents didn't consent. Nor did the real Annabel Lee's parents.

Annabel Lee's parents went so far as to hide the girl's grave after she died of typhoid. (Or something... I forget, exactly.) Poe wrote the poem "Annabel Lee" to taunt the girl's parents after he found out the location of the grave in Charleston, SC.

As mentioned, we also have Carroll's letters "begging" for permission to see Alice again.

Back in the day, this was considered scandalous but not illegal unless a person violated the parent's wishes.

Today, both Poe and Carroll would probably have to register as sex offenders.
    This is a long thread which I have not read right to the end so apologies if this has already been posted. Poes wife, Virgina, was 13 when she married Poe and he was 27. I assume that the marriage service was conducted by a Parson and the licence was issued by a Justice of the Peace (I'm not up on US Marriage Law). I don't recall reading of any parental oppostition to the match. Virginia died of TB at the tragically young age of 24 and is cited as one of the possible inspirations for the poem Annabel Lee. Such a marriage is, rightly, illegal today but obviously not in the Mid 1800s.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin