Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,397   Online: 1124

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, so you disagree with Kent. Understood.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem is that a lot of people in the 19th century were pedophiles by todays standard most monarchs would be considered pedophiles. Was Carrol attached/attracted to young girls it seems so, was he a child molester I think not. Until the mid 20th century a lot of european aristocrats married very very young women and not only aristocrats farmers an other working class people married very very young women as well. The trend pretty much changed when the infant and mother mortality rate was getting lower. Would I leave my daughter, if I had one, alone with Carrol no certainly not.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't want to find myself in a position of defending Dodgson, because I have no idea what he was like, never having met him.
    For all I know he was a child molesting paedophile. The point is I DON'T know - and neither does anyone else. There simply isn't enough evidence. He has had a large number of biographers, some of whom can be seen to have written rather a lot based on very little. Some researchers have based decades of their life on Dodgson and still there is no definitive opinion one way or the other - and I strongly suspect we will never know because we can never know.

Unfortunately - a lot of people are happy to base opinions on speculation.
    Steve

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This tasteless internets what-I-reckonery is about as far from "academic historical research" as it is possible to go.

Let's talk about the man's photography, or not at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whats tasteless is telling folks what they can and cannot talk about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    The problem is that a lot of people in the 19th century were pedophiles by todays standard most monarchs would be considered pedophiles.
    Yes, in the time of Poe, Carroll and many of the others, if the girl's parents consented, it was considered above-board.

The real Alice's parents didn't consent. Nor did the real Annabel Lee's parents.

Annabel Lee's parents went so far as to hide the girl's grave after she died of typhoid. (Or something... I forget, exactly.) Poe wrote the poem "Annabel Lee" to taunt the girl's parents after he found out the location of the grave in Charleston, SC.

As mentioned, we also have Carroll's letters "begging" for permission to see Alice again.

Back in the day, this was considered scandalous but not illegal unless a person violated the parent's wishes.

Today, both Poe and Carroll would probably have to register as sex offenders.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    No matter his sexual preferences he was a good photographer and knew about light I have to admit I have never seen any of his nudes.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Today, both Poe and Carroll would probably have to register as sex offenders.
    No, not quite. Only a convicted sex offender needs to register. As pointed out very accurately... he was never, to our current knowledge, formally accused or indicted as a offender of any kind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    No matter his sexual preferences he was a good photographer and knew about light I have to admit I have never seen any of his nudes.
    I have. They are actually rather poorly done. At least the few that remain and have been exhiited/published.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    No, not quite. Only a convicted sex offender needs to register. As pointed out very accurately... he was never, to our current knowledge, formally accused or indicted as a offender of any kind.
    Sorry... Hyperbole.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin