Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,988   Posts: 1,524,072   Online: 1046

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    I should hope that you mean purported;because I would otherwise like to see the evidence of a reported behaviour!
    You're right. I don't know if there are any newspapers or other journals that "reported" his behavior.
    It is PURPORTED behavior, yes.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the absence of solid evidence, I suggest all here just skip the subject and get on with the craft of photography — so far this thread is totally devoid of it, so your point is??
    APUG is not about speculating on a long-dead writer's supposed tilt at smut.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    OK, so you disagree with Kent. Understood.
    No, I disagree with the majority of what passes as psychiatric "diagnosis" even with living patients, let alone deceased ones, and I have the same contempt for unsupported speculative criminal implications. Justso there are no misunderstandings, I think there are few punishments too harsh for proven child molesters. But really, enough of that. I'd rather talk about his photography.

What I've seen of it hasn't impressed me greatly, so I won't defend that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    But really, enough of that. I'd rather talk about his photography.

What I've seen of it hasn't impressed me greatly, so I won't defend that.
    Well, what can I say?

Go ahead... start the talk about his photography. I'll chime in as appropriate. What exactly hasn't impressed you? Some of it is lousy, and some of it is very nice. I like his images in which the children assume a 'character". Xie in the Chinese outfits are generally well lit and very well outfitted. Very creative!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    C'mon Gary... join in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow... cat got your tongues?

I'm interested in talking photography. If we can't talk philosophy and intent... how about lighting? I assume that his still lifes were shot at the Ashmolean. What a dank place that is. How does one suppose they were lit -- artificial light or natural. Most of his work seems to be natural light and the still lifes may be also. Any insights?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No one has mentioned Jacques Sturgis.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I'm interested in talking photography.
    Okay, here you go. One photograph of Alice Liddel, taken by Lewis Carroll:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alice_Liddell_2.jpg  
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by artonpaper View Post
    No one has mentioned Jacques Sturgis.
    I wish you lot would get a dictionary between you - Most of the time I can work out what you mean, (reported/purported) - But in this instance I take it that Jock Sturges is being referred to - Yes, I have his book "The Last Day of Summer" here on the desk to check the spelling of his name

So, having mentioned him, what is the point?

Here in Australia in my opinion we have the King of the Creeps defended and lauded by a bunch of purblind arts experts - I refer, of course, to Bill Henson - I was going to scan an image from his 46th Venice Biennale 1995 catalogue, but there is no way a scan from these dark catalogue images would survive the process of scanning and loading and still be readable

I refer to BH as here is a photographer who works with very young models, covering them in stuff and mutilating the images to form a large montage - More recently his work at the Roslyn Oxley gallery 9 was held by the police for a while, although to me these portraits verged on the innocent - BH has actually canvassed for models through a school, but I will have to re-read David Marr's "The Henson Case" 2008 for the exact reference - David Marr was a journalist who I used to respect, but no longer

Yes, nasty pix are alive and well in Australia - This is in my personal and owned opinion

Now to cop the flak, but I am used to it

John
    Last edited by John Austin; 02-23-2012 at 01:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Creepy Guys"

That's why I read literature from a bookshop or library and not via APUG. I find better descriptive and analytical skills.

John might like to have a crack at the Art Gallery of New South Wales for having a vast retrospective of Henson's work, some from the Venice Biennale, with nary a ripple of whinging from any quarter. The Oxley event was a major beat up
    from people that you wouldn't share air with. I believe one of yours is called Sattler?

For anyone still reading: why do you think that Carroll was so sloppy with his surrounds; there's often grotty old bits of carpet on the floor and junk in the backgrounds of some of these "creepy" shots.

I recommend the Princeton album, too. The reproductions are quite small, but so were LC's prints.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin