Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,414   Online: 971

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm shooting south from the 59th street Queensboro Bridge. The Chrysler Bldg is closer to the camera at 42nd Street so it appears higher than the ESB further south at 34th street. There is a little bit of illusion that the ESB is in front of the Chrysler, but it isn't if you look closely. Of course, Trump Tower on the left is higher than all because it's closer than all. Thanks for your comments. Yours is an interesting shot as well. Al.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The day I started shooting film again!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jscott View Post
    Light is the key. Avoid burning film in bad light. Shoot in good light and you may or may not get something.
    There is no such thing as bad light when I'm photographing. "Wherever there is light one may photograph." --Alfred Steiglitz
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first visit to Istanbul: I used b&W film for the first time, and also I noticed clearly that life on some places is more alive - people are more alive, it is hard for me to explain in simple words, but on places where life is more alive I make better photos, it is like I see more clearly reality. Still missing exact words to explain this to the end

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am enjoying this thread so far. I'll say a couple of things...

Like others, I found it a revelation to see real, good prints in person, not in books or on the net. To stand in front of a fine print really opens your eyes to what a good photographer can do with a subject.

The other point for me is that while I do recall conscious efforts to compose my photos even very early on, I don't think I knew what it was that I was trying to do. Now, when I photograph a subject, sometimes I photograph light, sometimes shadow, sometimes I photograph lines, sometimes shapes, sometimes patterns. Sometimes I emphasize what is in a scene, sometimes what is absent from the scene. (Oh, ya... sometimes I photograph things.) Sometimes a scene defies nearly every attempt to capture its essence while other times a scene or subject can be photographed in any of the ways above. My daughter calls it living life through a lens. (I think she means it as a compliment.) But I think it is the development of my photographic eye that allows me to see possibilities when I reach for my camera.

One last point, I began the 365 day photo challenge on January 1, 2010. I have shot at least one analogue image every day since then; today being day 790 by my count. The discipline imposed by this regimen has challenged me to overcome all sorts of photographers' block, and has resulted in some of my best images on days when I thought I had reached a dead end. (I actually got a pretty cool picture of a brick wall when I thought I was up against one, so to speak.)

Cheers,
    Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    35mm
    A couple of things:

Firstly, learning to print in colour and the realisation that it wasn't anywhere near as difficult as many had told me it would be. This has led me to be less fearful of photographic processes out of my comfort zone. It's a shame I never got things in order to try Ilfochrome.

Secondly, the year I spent living in Sweden during 2008. Moving somewhere new and seeing things differently really helped widen my photo ideas of what is possible. Great light compared to the UK also. Because I didn't have a darkroom I shot lots of slides and this helped me to 'see' in colour and was the first step toward my point above. It was also great to live in a city and meet fellow film photographers - something that never happens in my current rural location.
    Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's been a good thread to follow-------

The skinny---my moment arose out of process rather than art. I started in photography when I was a senior in highschool ('82), stayed in for the next 5 or so years, joined the service, had all my Canaon A1 equipment stolen in '88, and then just gave up after that----did not pick up a camera again (at least with any serious thought of getting back into it) until 2002, when I bought a Canon A2 and a book called The Negative, that I had no awareness of in 1982, as strange as that may seem. I just didn't know much of anything about exposure and development, about good photographic process in general. My breakthrough moment came when I started to apply what I learned in that book, what an eye opener, even though it came later than I would have liked-----like I saw in an earlier post, I came to realize that I had so much more control of what I was doing than I ever realized, and it only got better when I moved to LF.

Making good negatives is not near as much of an issue anymore, however, making good photographs is quite another question, but at 48 now, with a new darkroom, I'm going to love trying to make a good picture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Break through moment is long gone, all I got left is thinking everything I do is mediocre at best.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    Break through moment is long gone, all I got left is thinking everything I do is mediocre at best.
    No - I like your street photography photos a lot, they are more than mediocre for sure.

If you can afford it - go on a nice trip somewhere far, far away - and try to find new break through

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    No - I like your street photography photos a lot, they are more than mediocre for sure.

If you can afford it - go on a nice trip somewhere far, far away - and try to find new break through
    Thanks for the reassurance, and I'd have to agree a Trip would be very nice, oh right, its the money thing again

Thanks.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin